32. Znicit

"Are you sure you want to do this?"

"No."

"But you're going to."

"Yes."

"Zeke-"

"I have to," I said as I rounded on Aris. We were on the tenth floor of the Sentinel Sognare. Azure was trailing behind us.

After the horrific incident at the Zenithium, I had called for Azure with everything I had and miraculously he had appeared. Although he admitted he was supposed to train me anyway that day so I thought it was a coincidence. I had decided to take Aris along with me, knowing I would need help after it.

My heart wrenched in pain when I imagined him lying broken. I never wanted to see him like that again. I didn't know what had happened, but I was grateful that he was alright. Despite the blood loss, he was holding up well. I had tried my best to heal him with my powers, but with little knowledge, I had only managed to shut the wound.

"Man, I'm at the fucking Sentinel Sognare and you won't even let me-"

I ignored him as we reached the nineteenth floor and ran towards the door, banging on it. Aris panted as he trailed after me, clutching his side as the door opened and I was relieved to see Helios, staring at me surprised, but healthy.

"Helios," I panted. "I want...Znicit."

I was aware of Aris staring at Helios and I, his expression awed. Helios glanced at him once before his gaze was back on mine but didn't say anything about Aris. "Come inside."

We walked into the room and I felt a surge of shame as I remembered what had happened there last time.

Helios stood in front of me and stared at me with his intense cold gaze. "Talk to me son."

"I am a boodletter. And I don't know how to control it and I killed six men."

Helios gazed at me impassively. "Who were these men?"

"Assassins."

"They were harming you."

"Yes," I said. "But-"

"You are terrified of your powers," he said. "I do not-"

"You take it," I said, desperation clawing my insides. I wasn't sure how Znicit worked. But the Supremes were Gods in Obscura. If anyone could absorb my powers and contain it, it would have to be Helios.  "I know it will hurt. But just rip it off me. You take it. You keep it. I don't- I cant."

His eyes were sorrowful as he looked at me. "The powers are no longer different from you child," he said. "The ceremony will be excruciating. And you will be losing certain memories that are intimately linked with your powers. A lot of what you discovered after coming to terms with the Starlight."

I stared at him. All my memories were linked with my powers. The memories I had made. My friends. The games. Crystal.

Aris.

"I'll...forget? Everything?" my heart spiraled into an abyss.

Helios nodded. "It is a possibility."

"But you can do that, you can take all the power and I will be free of this?"

He nodded slowly, reluctantly.

"Then I want you to do it," I said firmly. I didn't want to think, afraid that I would change my mind if I did.

"Ezekiel-"

"Please." My voice broke.

After a long silence, he nodded. "Alright. I will make the arrangements."