35. Promise

In the last twenty hours hours, Aris had been bombarded with a lot of information.

One, that Helios was still alive.

Two, that the Sognare was not a mere legend.

Three, Ezekiel Joziah Hunt was a bloodletting necromancer that he was in love with.

He knew he was supposed to feel scared. Afraid. Wary at least. But somehow, he couldn't.

He sat on the floor near the end of one of the chambers in the Sognare, gazing around at the stone walls. It was a simple enough room, having a bedside table, a closet, a massive window and a single bed currently occupied by Zeke. He gazed silently at his form. Zeke had collapsed after a spectacularly unsuccessful Znicit. Something that was frankly a relief to Aris. Even though he had promised he wouldn't forget him, a part of him was worried that he would.

Dusk had fallen outside as he waited silently, his eyes flitting again and again to Zeke who remained determinedly still, apart from the gentle rise and fall of his shoulders as he breathed.

A little while later, Zeke stirred and Aris got up, slowly walking towards him. He called him tentatively. "Zeke?" he didn't respond, seeming like he couldn't hear Aris. He called again. "Zeke?"

Zeke's shoulders started trembling. Aris walked over to him and sat on the bed, gazing, unsure what to do as little sobs started escaping him. It seemed like he was still asleep as his shoulders shook and he whispered. "Mom...No.."

Aris touched his arm softy. "Zeke?"

He stared in alarm as his entire body started vibrating, shuddering breaths escaping his mouth, as if he was suffocating. "No..I...killed..."

He curled up, his breaths become shallower, his voice dripping with agony as he whispered incoherently. Aris wondered if he was having a bad dream, or perhaps he was awake but still in stupor. He gazed helplessly as he shuddered and rasped, taking in ragged breaths. He didn't seem to be getting any better and finally, Aris lay down beside him and embraced him, at a loss.

"Hey...hey, Sunshine," he whispered tenderly, his arms encasing him protectively. "It's okay. You're okay. Everything's okay."

He pushed himself closer to Zeke's so there was nothing separating him. Letting his body heat warm his trembling form. He leaned forward, placing his head on his shoulder and holding him tightly as he whispered again and again. "Shh, it's okay. You're okay. I'm here."

He held him securely. Feeling Zeke's beautiful heart beating erratically. Aris breathed deeply, hoping it would root Zeke back to reality, just like his voice had. He was patient. It was a while before the trembling finally reduced and Zeke's eyes opened with a shuddering gasp. Aris didn't let him go, whispering in his ear. "Are you okay?"

Zeke placed his hand on his chest, his hand finding Aris' and grasping it firmly as he nodded slowly. "What happened?" his voice was raspy when he spoke.

"I'll tell you later," Aris said, holding him close.

"No," Zeke left his hand and turned around so he was flat on his back and gazing up at Aris."Tell me now."

Aris bit his lip uncomfortably. His stomach clenching painfully at the sight of the amethyst enigma. "The Znicit was unsuccessful."

Zeke nodded. "I figured as much," He sounded breathless as he spoke. "And?"

Aris shook his head gently stroking his forehead. "And nothing. That's it. The Znicit was unsuccessful and Helios agreed to train you."

Zeke gazed at him, his eyes brimming with some old, unforgettable agony. "I don't want to train," he whispered. "I don't want...this."

Aris sighed softly. "You'll get better."

"My mother's...apparition," Zeke said, his eyes glittering. "She...she arrived didn't she?"

Aris nodded silently, intertwining his fingers with Zeke's cold ones.

"Was she...angry?" his words were so low that Aris had to strain to listen to him, and even then, they made no sense to him.

"What do you mean?"

Zeke sighed and turned his face towards the window, his eyes unseeing. "Nothing."

Aris leaned towards him, kissing his cheek softly. "We need to leave."

Zeke nodded before whispering hoarsely. "Just a while."

"You should stay with me if you don't want to stay with your dad," Zeke said suddenly, turning around to look at Aris.

His heart hammered at his words and the sincerity in his eyes. "Like...where?"

"At the palace," Zeke said. "My dad's rich."

Aris burst out laughing and gently kissed his forehead. "Sure."

Zeke gazed at him, a soft smile on his lips, a secret sadness in his eyes that made Aris ache. He wished he would let him in. He wished he would be vulnerable. But he would wait, because he knew Zeke was worth all the wait. Worth all the hurt.

 "Thanks for being here, Greenwood."

Aris stroked a dark strand of hair from Zeke's face. His heart leaped as he closed his eyes at his touch, his long, dark lashes fluttering. "I keep my promises Sunshine."