19. Helios

Two days later at the training session, I collapsed twenty minutes in.

I lay panting on my back, gazing up at the cloudy skies.

"I think the weather is impacting your ability Ezekiel."

Azure walked over to me and to my surprise, plopped beside me and closed his eyes, sighing. "I don't think I am the correct person to be teaching you this."

"There are eighteen other Asterius. And all others are dead," I lifted my arm and looked at the roman symbol on it. In the last session,  Azure had told me the significance of the numbers. "It has to be you."

Azure looked at me. "Perhaps a fire affinity Nuvue would be better suited. Although that only leaves Obsidian among the seniors, who does not get along with you.  And Aranya, who is still too young to be training you."

I scoffed. "Young like, three hundred?"

"Two fifty."

"Wow, she's a baby."

The corner of his thin mouth flickered into half a smile. "I suppose you are correct. It has to be me."

"Azure," I began, finally making my mind up to ask him something that had been bothering me since last semester. "How is it possible for an air Nuvue to manipulate the liquid state of water into solid?"

Azure stared straight ahead. "It's not. I suppose-" his eyes glazed over as he thought hard. "It could be done, but it would require highly advanced magic." he looked at me. "Why do you ask?"

I shrugged nonchalantly. "I just...saw someone. Do something. It is possible then?"

"Yes." Azure nodded, "If the air Nuvue is able to manipulate the air around the surface of water, then the water can be frozen. However, it requires immense control and I would hold anyone who can do that in extreme high regards."

"Would the size of the water have an effect?" I asked, my heart beating slightly faster. It seemed like Elijah was capable of much more advanced magic than I had thought.

"Size? I suppose you mean surface area?" he looked at me for confirmation as I nodded and continued. "Absolutely. The larger area the more difficult it will be."

I sighed and sat up straight. "Let's start."

I didn't like the idea that Elijah was so strong. I knew I needed to strengthen my powers,

Azure stared at me, a distant look in his eyes. "There is someone I need you to meet, Ezekiel. I was hoping...it would be some time later. But...it is time," I stared at him curiously as he got to his feet. "It's time to pay a visit to the Sognare."

A while later, we had walked over to the palace gates of the Sentinel Sognare. I gazed in wonder at the sign of the sun etched on its highest towers, still illuminated by a golden glow. The walls on topmost towers seemed to glitter and I wondered if it was actually made of diamonds.

A huge fountain stood at the center of the high rise compound, a massive foundation with what looked like an angel mounted on it. She was pouring water from a large container which seemed to shimmer as if, it too, was encrusted with diamonds.

It was surreal as I walked through the medieval castle, its wall grey stone with tiny walls. There were several busts of illustrious sentinels who had lost their lives in the Dark War- The Supremes against the Umbras of the Chasm. The Umbras were dark, shadow creatures, manifestations of impenetrable darkness.

 There were several nondescript rooms on either side of the hallway as Azure led me straight ahead to the foot of the staircase. "The person I want you to meet resides on the nineteenth floor."