13. Legends

"If we die, I'll kill you Aureus Eugene."

Aris grimaced at Aahan as the four of us stepped into the empty hall where sword practices went on the entire day. Being Saturday night, most of the campus was empty and it was easier to sneak out of our dorms.

"They won't care as long as we don't injure anyone," Aris said as he switched on the lights and the entire room was batched in a soft white glow. "Welcome to Sword fighting one oh one."

Nia walked over to the chest of weapon and tried to open it before grunting and giving up. "It's shut."

"Let me try." Aris walked over to it, opening his palms to reveal a tiny plant which kept growing, spreading its branches till it got hold off the lock and yanked it away. There was a loud clatter of the metal on the ground.

"How are you going to fix it genius?" Aahan asked as he shook his head. He opened the book that he had in his hand and plopped onto the floor, cross legged. Aris' smile faltered as he gazed at the mangled lock.

"Man. I did not think this through."

I walked over to where Nia was crouching over the pile of swords and fished out a long thin one with a golden hilt. The white light reflected off its lethal blade, shining maliciously. It felt lighter than I remembered, or perhaps I had simply got stronger. "This feels really good."

I grinned at Nia as she fished out another sword. "Yeah? Then come on Hunt!"

We parried for a while before Aris jumped in, a three way fight going amongst us. The metallic sounds were echoing in the empty room but I didn't care.

"Alright, enough playing," Aris said, suddenly serious. "It's time to teach some serious moves."

"How about-" I said as I smirked challengingly and walked towards him. He steadied his sword, gazing attentively at me, his emerald eyes rapt. I stepped to the right and turned around, swirling a complete three sixty degree and stopping the pointed hilt right near his cheek.
 "-feinting?" I completed, grinning at him. 

He smirked back. "Impressive Hunt-" the floor beneath me gave way as he dealt a sharp kick to the space between my ankle and my shin and I fell face down. "But too cocky."

I looked up at him and saw him grinning victoriously.

"You guys are so corny," Nia said, rolling her eyes as she rounded on me. "How about a turn with a real fighter Hunt?"

After about an hour of parrying, we collapsed on the floor, exhausted and sweaty.

"It's disturbing how much pleasure you all derive from inflicting violence," Aahan said as he looked at us.

"It's defense Rana," Aris commented and lay on his back, staring up at the ceiling.

"There's something I wanted to tell you guys," Aahan said after a while and cleared his throat awkwardly. "Ever since we learnt that Zeke is an Asterius-" he looked at me before continuing. "I've been ding some research and found out some stuff about the legend of Helios. Asterians in general. Although," he shook his head and bit his lip, looking suddenly worried. "None of it has been proven."

I crawled over to him and sat cross legged as I looked at the book that was open in his lap. I saw that had the image of what looked like a supernova, and a man standing underneath it with his arms spread. There was a lot of minuscule text below the image which I struggled to read.

"The Asterians, stemming from the power of the stars have legendary and infinite powers. Helios second had the capability of bloodletting, necromancy and was also said to have visions of the future. Glimpses to warn him of his and Obscura's future. The future Asterians have not been verified for having these abilities as they have all died tragically, crushed under the weight of their own power."

I stared at the text, barely aware of Aris and Nia crawling over to us and sitting on either side of me. Silence followed Aahan's words.

Aris shook his head. "That's fucking wild."

"Zeke?" Nia said softly. "Have you...experienced? Any of this?"

I remembered the day at Crystal's landlord's house. How blood had spurted from the man's nose and mouth. How I had felt even more powerful.

My heart hammered in my chest as cold dread filled it. The building that I was seeing, was it possible that it was a vision? If so, then where was it? What did it mean? If it was a warning, was I supposed to prevent it? Or was it some metaphorical vision that I didn't understand?

I grit my teeth, my voice low as I lied smoothly. "No."

Aris leaned back and shook his head. "Necromancy?" he glanced at me sideways. "How the fuck does that work?"

"Do you think I spend my time trying to bring back dead people?" I asked my voice shaking slightly. "I don't fucking know okay?"

He clenched his jaw but didn't say anything. I felt scared by the prospect that the legends might be true. That I might actually be what he told me that I was.

"It's all legends," Aahan said softly, shutting the book and looking at me. "Not much is known about Asterians Zeke," he leaned back and sighed. "It's just really confusing."

"Where are you going to train now Zeke?" Nia asked.

I shrugged, my mind reeling. Bloodletting. If that's what had happened that day, then could the others be true as well? The thought sent a forbidden thrill through me. And it repulsed me at the same time.

"I don't know," I said, trying to sound aloof. "I guess I'll find out soon."

*

It felt like what I had said, was to be realized very soon.

The next morning was Sunday, I was woken by a knock on my door. I got up dizzily, my mind still woozy and very preoccupied by a dream that included Crystal and very little clothes.

I sighed and walked up to the shower, waiting to get a hold on myself before I called out. "Who is it?"

I yawned immediately and I heard a serene, soft but commanding voice floating through the name. "Ezekiel. It is I, Azure. Is it possible for you to converse with me presently?"

A part of me wanted to groan and ask him to speak normally. "Yes. Just a second."

I quickly washed my face and mouth and looked at myself in the mirror, making sure that nothing was sticking upwards. I ran towards the door and opened it to reveal Azure, looking exactly like I remembered him in the exact same outfit. I wondered silently if the Sentinels ever did change outfits.

"May I?" He asked, smiling serenely.

I nodded and stepped back as he walked lightly into the room. His footsteps so soft that it looked like he was floating. "There were certain important matters I needed to discuss with you Eekiel," he said. "Obsidian tells me of what happened. He tells me that you are an Asterius."

I nodded. He pursed his lips, an unrecognizable expression flashing in his eyes. He sighed before his eyes became almost forlorn. "You must be aware that an Asterius does not have a guild. Due to lack of them."

I nodded, stifling a yawn as I raked a hand through my hair. He nodded back. "I wish to train you through a personal trainer. I think...he is the only Nuvue who will be able to train you...Zeke."

It was strange to hear him utter my nick name. "Who is it?" I asked curiously. "Will he be coming to Asteria?"

Azure shook his head, his blue hair waving as little drops of sunlight filtered through his strands. I amused myself for a few moments, imagining Azure dyeing his hair blue and applying a flowery shower cap. "I'm afraid...it is not possible for him to arrive to Asteria. I will be personally escorting you."

I stared at him,"You? Personally?"

He nodded, a small smile at the corner of his lips. "If that Is alright with you."

I gaped at him. It struck me as odd that a Sentinel like Azure who had been around since a millennium, would come to Asteria in order to personally escort me to wherever it was that I was supposed to have my training. But then, it was also true that I was the only surviving Asterius. A part of me was scared as to what that meant.

Unable to think of another response, I nodded silently. He smiled, looking satisfied as he rose and again floated towards the exit. "I will be receiving you in your room itself. I have the timetable of your practical classes. I will also be escorting you back here."

I nodded again as he gave me a tiny bow and walked away, shutting the door softly behind him. My stomach clenched in nervousness for the unknown future.