14. Desire

That afternoon, I decided to go to Neronz.

I had rarely stopped thinking about Crystal through entire days, and couldn't wait to go see her.
I slipped out of Asteria early afternoon after lunch. The car that my dad had presented to me would be waiting outside Asteria at all times. Although he had said to me that it was 'not present for bunking classes.'

I sat in the car and asked the driver to teach me to drive. Even though I didn't have a license. So he did. I revved up the engine, my heart racing fast as I slowly pulled the car into the empty road. The steering was a little bumpy and it took a few tries to get the car to start smoothly, but once it was, it was surprisingly easy to keep it straight.

I dropped myself off at the bus stop and told the driver to go back home. I had no idea of how long I would be staying there and still wasn't comfortable at the thought of making him wait just for my sake. My steps quickened as I got nearer and nearer her apartment. Being afternoon, the streets were uncharacteristically empty. I reached her apartment building and walked up the staircase, my heart fluttering excitedly at the thought of seeing her.

I knocked on the door once. Twice. But there was no response. I was starting tow wonder if she was out when I heard footsteps coming up form the staircase behind me. I turned around and saw a haggard looking Crystal laden with shopping bags. 

Her eyes lit up when they met mine and smiled at her, my heart leaping. She walked over quickly, placing the bags near her feet which I now saw were filled with groceries and moved closer to me, wrapping her arms around me. "Hi." She whispered breathlessly as I held her close.  I took a deep breath. Feeling her warmth, her familiarity. Smelling her comforting scent. "Hi."

She leaned back after a while, a soft smile on her face. "I'm glad you came along," then she rolled her eyes and smile mischievously. "I really need a hand with all this stuff-"

She waved a hand to the massive bags as we carried them inside and placed them on the kitchen counter.

"And they say chivalry is dead," She said, giggling as I placed a heavy can of rice on the counter and huffed exaggeratedly.

"There are just a few more things I have to do-" She stood up on her toes and opened the topmost counter, stretching over as she tried to pull an empty can towards her. My heart skipped a beat as I saw her. Her hair flowing carelessly around her, her eyes squinting in attention. Her tshirt had risen just a little when she had stood on her toes and I could see just a few inches of her lower stomach. I wrenched my eyes away from her and let them wander away, my cheeks burning.

I sat quietly while she worked, sorting out the vegetables and chips and what not. She seemed to have a very organized system of everything.

"Wow," I said, leaning backward as I sat on the bed and gazed at her, amused. "So you're a freak."

She had about a dozen cans and jars where she separated a number of spices. Salt. Sugar. What looked like jalapeno, pepper, olives and a number of things I had no name for. "I...kind of have a thing."

She arranged eggs on a crater and gently set them aside before finally walking over to me. "I really like to be arranged."

I sighed. "I can never understand how you people's brains work," I shook my head. "Taking a thing and placing it back in its original place? Can't fucking do that."

She laughed and sat at the head of the bed, crossing her legs as she grinned at me. "So tell me, how's your training magic boy?"

"I will, but before that I should tell you that our polo team won the inter academy championship," I grinned at her. "I scored the winning goal."

I was unused to the tiny rush of pride that I felt. I felt awkward saying that to her, but nevertheless, happy. Her eyes widened and she beamed at me. "That's so amazing Zeke!"

I moved closer to her so I was leaning against the headboard and closed my eyes, speaking seriously. "It has been difficult since then though. Life of fame..." I sighed. "Everybody wants a piece of you."

She laughed. "Modesty is an overrated quality."

My mind wandered as I gazed around her apartment and asked, "He didn't bug you anymore did he?"

I looked at her sideways as she bit her lip and nodded. "No he didn't. in fact...I came across him since and he ran the other way."

I nodded, feeling a savage pleasure at his fear.

"What exactly did you do that day Zeke?" she asked softly.

I sighed. "I...I wasn't planning to initially. But he was talking a lot of shit so I just er...gave him a little preview."

Her eyes widened as I straightened up and faced her sheepishly. "Of what?"