24. Hope

With the Sentinels not training me the next week, I finally had time to catch up to classes.

It turned out Aris was right. I was definitely going to fail.

All the subjects had advanced ahead and I felt absolutely lost in class. My mind was distracted by a number of things.

I sat in Life Skills class that day and stared off into space, my mind wandering. I was still confused about Aris and how I felt about him.

I still didn't know what had come over me that day. Why I had kissed him. I knew I was in love with Crystal, but couldn't understand why my body had reacted the way that it had. I couldn't understand why I had pulled him so close to me. Wanting to touch him. Kiss every inch of him. I just knew that the thought of him leaving Asteria has rattled me. I was desperate to keep him close.

I glanced at him from the corner of my eye. It didn't seem like he was paying much attention either. He had his hand propped on the table and his face rested on his open palm as he gazed at the professor, unseeing. The golden sunlight bounced off his equally golden head, sending golden flecks of light shimmering through his hair. His emerald eyes looked bored as they stared straight ahead.

I wrenched my eyes away from him. Part of me thought the reason I had kissed him was because I knew about his feelings. After the way he had reacted, it made sense. I had kissed him just so that he wouldn't leave Asteria, something that I was almost sure he was doing out of anger at me. On one hand, I was glad he wasn't making it difficult for me by mentioning it. I only caught him looking at me a little more frequently than usual, and due to some reason, it made me feel hot over. He seemed to respect my relationship with Crystal. He was patient. Almost too much.

Like he was waiting for me to come to him.

I sighed softly, my heart in a turmoil. But there were other things I needed to focus on.

"Aahan," I caught up to Aahan after class that day as he sat in the mess along with Nia. He looked at me and waved. I walked over and sat beside him. "You're going to have to tutor me."

Nia glanced curiosly at me. "How come you're not at training today?"

I averted her eyes. I wasn't too keen about telling everyone about my vampirish abilities.

"Er...Azure gave me a break for sometime. "

It wasn't a complete lie. He had given me a break.

Aris walked over to us with a tray laden with food. I glanced at him once and looked away, my heart fluttering unexpectedly. He sat across us and gazed curiously. "What's up?"

"Apparently Azure gave Zeke a week's break," Aahan said as he shoved some hot dogs in his mouth.

Aris eyes flitted to mine and I saw a slight blush on his cheeks as he looked at Aahan and spoke. "Yeah, I heard. I think it might even be good-" his eyes flitted to mine again. "It will give him a chance to catch up till mid terms."

Even though evertime I thought about training, I felt a worried knot in the pit of my stomach. I threw myself into studying, trying to distract myself from the million things that were in my head.

I was sitting in the library alone one evening. Being Saturday, most students were out, their hearts unburdened by mysterious life threating powers and the possibility of another Znicit.

I was staring at the same line in the book grossly titled, 'Fun With Fungi' , not absorbing anything when I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey, Sunshine."

I looked at the source of the noise and found Aris leaning agaisnt the bookshelf behind me. He walked over to me and sat beside me, placing a thick book on the table.