23. Heart

"Mr Greenwood."

Aris stared at the window, his heart somewhere around his naval. Unable to hear as professor Lythium again called his name.

"Mr Greenwood!"

He felt a soft nudge on his elbow and saw Nia, looking at him with wide eyes. She gestured at Lythium as Aris slowly turned to him.

"I was asking you, to please brief the markings of an ancient dragon of the Infinity House?"

Aris struggled to bring his mind back to the present. "I..I don't know."

Lythium sighed, disappointment edges into his face as he shook his head. "I really need you to start paying attention in class Mr Greenwood. I have heard illustrious comments about you, even from to Supremes. And yet recently, your performance in class has been slipping severely."

Aris sighed and decided to remain quiet. He felt too exhausted to reply to him. He was mentally tired of everything. His brain and heart both were fixated on Ezekiel's constant absence from the academy.

He felt the familiar knot of raging anger and envy when he wondered if he could be with his unnamed girlfriend. He was angry that even after their conversation that night, he still seemed as distant as he had before. Maybe it was a façade. Just a way to fool Aris into thinking otherwise.

The weight of the letter in his pocket, containing his father's words weighed him down even more.

His father had given him the last warning. Leave Asteria and come to Fuegos. He will not be providing any monetary support.

That day at mess during lunch, Ezekiel was still not present and his appetite died. He decided to excuse himself from the afternoon class as Nia and Aahan exchanged worried glances. Before he could got up, Aahan grabbed his arm and forced him to sit. "Aris...I wanted to tell you something.

Aris sat down, his eyes gazing worriedly between his friends. "What?"

Nia bit her lip and glanced nervously at Aahan as he continued. "I..talked to Clearwater. And..told him I had slipped and lost my full scholarship."

Aris gazed at him, unsure of where he was going with this.

"So..." Aahan took a deep breath. "He will be sending the Academy fees to me. And..since I still have the scholarship, I want you to have the money and continue studying here."

The floor slipped for underneath Aris.

He stared at him, his stomach clenching, his heart filling with warmth. He couldn't believe Aahan had done this for him. He knew how important his rule of never taking money from his step father was to him. But he had broken it. For his sake. He didn't feel he deserved it. He didn't feel like he was worth it.