Ch 4

Fuyumi left y/n to do her own exploring, explaining that she had some business to tend to. So y/n took on the responsibility to explore the place all on her own! 'Where should I go first?' She asked herself. 'I guess it wouldn't hurt to start at the stables...wonder if they've got some cute horses...or maybe a little barnyard cat!' She headed back into the manor to receive directions and once they had been given she headed back out.

'Ok, out the front door to the left...little stone path...' y/n repeated the directions in her head over and over as to not forget them. She walked along the little stone path which led her through a bit of trees until she came to a large clearing. There was a fenced area in this little hidden meadow where she could see a few horses and other farm animals grazing and a cozy looking barn too. A loud bark sounded from a little ways down and a huge white dog made its way up the hill to y/n, it's metal spiked collar clinking. The dog quickly took in the fact that she was a human and not some wolf coming to kill livestock and began to wag its tail.

"Hey there buddy!" Y/n smiled at it. The dog was quite big, its back reached y/n's hips. She reached a hand out to pet the fluffy dog before making her way down the hill to the pasture. The dog followed her, walking in pace close by her side. Y/n couldn't help but smile again. 'This is oddly comforting.' She thought to herself.

"Oh hey! Looks like Tadao took a liking to you!" Somone yelled from inside the fence. Y/n looked up from the dog at the person as she drew near. He was a boy with tan skin and brown curly hair, various freckles adorning his cheeks. "Name's Gin! Nice to meet you." He pulled a glove off of his hand and reached over the fence to shake y/n's hand.

"I'm y/n!" She took his hand and shook it.

"Oh I've heard 'bout you!" He said excitedly, slipping the glove back on. "Your the new blood doner eh?" He questioned. Y/n nodded her head with a smile.

"Well y/n! What's a fine maiden like yourself coming all the way down here to the stables for?" Gin asked, picking up a bucket of water and pouring it into a trough.

"I thought I'd come and explore," y/n explained. "Fuyumi said I could look around the place for myself."

"Ha! Well...not too many interestin' things goin' round here!" Gin said with a laugh. "But ay- if you're interested n' hangin out with the sheep I wouldn't mind the company!" He reached over the fence to unchain the gate and opened it for y/n.

"What animals do you have here?" She questioned, having had animals back at her own home she was curious.

"Ah welp. we've got cows, horses, chickens, goats, pigs, sheep. Oh! And we do have some wild geese come round here sometimes." Gin began walking towards the barn, y/n following close behind him as Tadao plopped down into the grass.

"Is there anyone else here that works with you?" Y/n asked. She was concerned for the boy if he did all that work by himself.

"Well, I do most of the work. Though sometimes people from the manor come down and help out. Natsuo likes to come down here and help shear the sheep when they need it." Gin commented fondly. Y/n nodded, her interest peaked.
"I enjoy it though. I love caring for the animals and they make for great company! I get to stay here for free and I get paid enough." Gin did seem genuinely happy, as did most people who worked at the Todoroki manor. Y/n smiled.

"Well, I better get going. Would you mind if I came back here every once in a while?" Y/n asked Gin. His eyes seemed to sparkle at her.

"I wouldn't mind at all! Feel free to come here as much as you want!" He smiled at her.

And with a wave y/n walked back up the hill and through the small bit of trees back to the manor.

"My lady there you are! Would you care for some lunch?" A maid asked her.

"Oh sure!" Y/n was led to the dining room again, though no one was there and it was only her eating. She didn't mind though. Once her lunch was eaten (rather quickly) she thanked the maid and headed back out to explore some more.

"Hey y/n!" Natsuo walked up from behind her. Y/n turned to look at him.

"Oh hey! What's up?" She questioned.

"Well, Fuyumi just got done with her work and she wanted me to ask you if you'd want to come with us to the lake?" He smiled.
Y/n's eyes grew wide.

"There's a lake? Of course I'll go!" She was elated. Natsuo smiled and made a 'follow me' gesture.
The two of them walked along a path through the forest that partially surrounded the manor. Fuyumi caught up to them a moment later.

"Well- I tried to get Shoto to join us but he said he had studies to do." Fuyumi sighed.

"Hey, you tried." Natsuo gave her a pat on the back. Fuyumi nodded and gave y/n a smile when she noticed her walking alongside them.

"Father finally let you go?" Fuyumi asked her brother.

"Yeah, he said for me to leave him so he could write in peace." Natsuo sighed.

The three of them reached a clearing. Y/n could feel smooth pebbles crunch under her feet. A large clear lake stretched out in front of them.

"Whoa! It's so clear!" Y/n exclaimed.

"It's because we're the only ones who ever come here. The water's practically untouched." Natsuo smiled, slipping his shoes off and dipping his feet in the water.

The three of them sat at the edge of the lake. They chatted about life and all their experiences. Y/n took this as an opportunity to get to know the two siblings better. Looking out across the glimmering water with the mumbles of the two in the back of her mind. The sound of the trees rustling just added to the comforting ambience.

The sun began to set and they had all headed back to the manor for dinner. Fuyumi, Natsuo and y/n chatted away at the table until the dining hall doors opened once more. Shoto entered glaring at his fathers empty seat as he walked.

"Pardon me for being late." He said quietly as he took his seat at the table. "Where's the old man?" He questioned.

"Oh, he took his food to his chambers...he won't be joining us tonight." Fuyumi took a sip of red liquid from her cup. Shoto nodded.

"How were your studies?" Natsuo asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Fine." Was all the answer he got back.
Y/n could see Natsuo sigh inwardly. Shoto's eyes glared up at Fuyumi.

"What room do you have her staying in?" He asked coldly, referring to y/n. Fuyumi seemed to stiffen at the question. She immediately changed the subject.

"Y/n have you been to the gardens they're qui-,"

"What. Room. Is. She. Staying. In." He asked slowly, seeming to already know the answer. Fuyumi's eyebrows furrowed. Y/n sank down into her chair a little at the rising tension.

"Now, now, lets not fight-," Natsuo tried to calm the two.

"Why does it matter the room?" Fuyumi asked her youngest brother.

"If you think the room doesn't matter then why aren't you telling me?" Shoto stood from his seat, the action causing the table to jostle and the blood in Fuyumi's cup to spill.
"It's hers isn't it..." he whispered angrily. Fuyumi only sighed. Shoto pushed his chair in and quickly made his way out of the room.

"Shoto please!" Fuyumi called after him.

"Just leave him." Natsuo sighed.

"Uhm....what's wrong with my room?"
Y/n piped up.

"Your fine y/n, I'll have someone escort you to your room. Have a good night ok?" Natsuo smiled at her. Y/n nodded and followed the maid out of the dining hall as more maids came in to clean the mess.