Ch 17

Months had passed and winter came. Since that day by the stream, Shoto had avoided y/n like the plague. He'd only come to her when he needed blood.

She spent countless nights wondering what she'd done to make him avoid her. Had she made him uncomfortable in some way? Had she said something to trigger some painful memory? Did she offend him somehow? Whatever it was...y/n'd be a liar if she said she didn't miss Shoto.

Y/n was sitting inside by a window, watching the snow fall outside. She'd finished the complete history of vampires alone, with no Shoto by her side asking quiet questions.
No more quiet moments of them just sitting together.
No more time spent with him in the garden.

Y/n felt that the friendship she'd built with the quiet boy had died with the end of summer.
Her heart was heavy and even though Fuyumi still hung out with her regularly, the hole couldn't be filled.

"Want to go down to the market to get some more winter clothes? I know a nice shop." Fuyumi said quietly.

"Yeah..." y/n stood up and followed Fuyumi.

Their feet crunched in the snow as they walked to the market. The walk was silent and the air was heavy. Fuyumi knew that something had gone wrong but she didn't press it. She didn't want to upset y/n further.

"How was your day so far?" Fuyumi asked, trying to take y/n's mind off of her problems.

"Good." Y/n gave a short answer.

"Yeah? What was good about it?" Fuyumi wasn't going to take a short answer.

"The snow I guess...it's pretty." Y/n said quietly as they walked through the quiet market.

"Hmm, mother always liked this weather." Fuyumi commented as they entered a shop.
Inside was warm and cozy. Multiple types of warmer clothes hung on wooden racks inside.
"Go ahead and pick a couple out. I'll pay!" Fuyumi smiled at y/n.

"Alright, Thank you." Y/n said as she walked around inside, peering at the different clothes.

After a bit of looking she'd chosen three items. She'd made sure to look at the prices so that Fuyumi wouldn't have to spend too much and handed them to the white haired girl.

"That's it?" Fuyumi said, looking down at the clothing in her hand.

"Mhm." Y/n nodded at her and Fuyumi sighed.

"Alright...you can get more you know?" Fuyumi said in concern.

"It's fine." Y/n smiled a little.

"Ok." Fuyumi said as she handed the man behind the counter a bag of coins before exiting the shop.

The cold bit at y/n's feet as they walked home. Small little snowflakes had begun to fall once more. The trees were bare, having lost all their leaves in autumn and small bits of snow clung to their naked branches.

"Mother always liked this weather." Fuyumi's words played back in y/n's mind. Y/n thought back to the night in the empty ballroom. Their mother did seem like a winter person.

"Take care of my son for me...please..." her words echoed in her mind, reminding her of the promise she'd made. "Shit.." y/n thought to herself. Letting Shoto avoid her so much wasn't exactly helping him was it? What had she been doing this whole time? Feeling sad about it instead of trying to get him to communicate? "I'm an idiot." Y/n thought to herself and sighed.

When they entered the manor y/n handed her new clothes to the maids. They promptly took them to wash them and place them in her wardrobe.

Y/n walked back up to her room and paced around. "How can I get Shoto to speak to me? I've let him get so closed off...will he just ignore me?" Y/n pondered as she looked out her window. Whatever it took it didn't matter. She was going to get answers out of him somehow.