Ch 10

"Take a seat. I'll be back with the book in a moment." Shoto said quietly, disappearing into the many shelves of books. Y/n took her seat by a window. She was a bit cold and the sun warmed her skin. She heard the soft tap of shoes and Shoto had returned, book in hand. He set it down in front of y/n, flipping the pages to the one that she had left off on. Y/n pulled the book a bit closer to herself and began reading. Shoto pulled out a book of his own and they both read in silence.

"This passage references a battle between humans and vampires...do you know which battle they are referring to?" Y/n asked the boy. Shoto glanced down at the book, reading the section y/n was talking about.

"Ah that's the last battle, the most recent one that is." He said.

"Got it." Y/n nodded. "Could you...explain the last battle to me?" Y/n asked, looking at him this time. Shoto nodded and closed his book.

"Before the Battle started, the person who was appointed leader by the humans had been riling them up for some time. Of course my kind was no better. Back then they took when the felt they needed to. Both sides were both the victims and the bad guys." He explained.
Y/n nodded, encouraging him to continue.
"Eventually enough tension built up between the two to start a war. The humans lost the war and so now vampires reign over them. Our ruler has strictly forbidden the taking of blood without permission." He said, opening his book once more once he was done speaking.

"Ah." Y/n said. She looked out the window for a bit before turning back to look at Shoto.
"I think it's better that way." She said.

"Hm?" Shoto raised an eyebrow, eyes still on his book.

"With the leader you have, well, our leader. I think it's better that way." Y/n said.

"Why do think so?" He asked.

"Your kind live longer. Your decisions seem more...solid. I think because you live so long that your kind just...listens and thinks and understands things that humans tend to just...skip over." Y/n explained her thoughts the best she could. "I don't know things just seem more under control. It's peaceful." She said. Shoto nodded and turned a page in his book.

"Shoto!" A maid came into the room quickly.
"Your fathe-,"

"Wants to see me." He interrupted the maid, closing the book loudly and dropping it on the table. "Bastard." He whispered under his breath. Y/n watched him leave. She was a little stunted for a moment before she picked up her history book and walked to the shelves to put it away. She then walked back to the table to pick up Shoto's book to give to him later. Y/n exited the library and decided to take a walk to sit by the fountains in the front of the manor.

"Ahh," y/n sighed, sitting down on the side of the fountain. She let her fingertips dip into the water as she watched some birds pick at the ground nearby.

"Y/n!" Fuyumi waved to her as she came and sat down next to her.

"Hello!"  Y/n said.

"We're holding a ball in three days!" Fuyumi said, smiling excitedly.

"Really?" Y/n smiled. She'd never been to a ball in her life.

"Mhm! We've invited the nearest lords, their children, and anyone working for them!" She clasped y/n's hands. "It's going to be fun! It feels like it's been forever since I've seen other people!" Fuyumi joked. "Do you want to come with me to pick out a dress?" She asked.

"Sure!" Y/n said, following her back into the manor.

~quick lil timeskip~

"Oh that one looks absolutely adorable on you!" Fuyumi clapped her hands as y/n showed off her chosen dress.

"Let me see yours!" Y/n said. Fuyumi nodded and left the room to change. She returned with her chosen dress on.

"Oh my gosh it's beautiful!!" Y/n said. "The lace around your shoulders just...it's just works!" Fuyumi giggled at y/n's compliments.

"Thank you y/n! Well, lets get out of these and go eat!" Fuyumi said.

"So why is this ball being held?" Y/n asked as they walked down the stairs having changed back into their clothes.

"Ah, it's going to be Natsuo's birthday." She said smiling.

"Oh really? I'll have to tell him happy birthday." Y/n smiled.

They both sat down to eat dinner. Y/n didn't realize how much time she'd spent studying with Shoto. She'd totally forgot about lunch. After a while of chatting y/n and Fuyumi had finished.

"Well, I've got invitations to write so I must leave you." Fuyumi said sadly.

"Oh it's alright. I'm going to go to the gardens for a walk." Y/n said.

"Alright! Have fun, be safe! The sun's going down." Fuyumi said, heading out the room.

"I will!" Y/n said as she headed out once more. As she walked she watched the sun disappear behind the trees. A cool breeze blew from behind her, making her shiver slightly.

The gardens were illuminated with the occasional lantern. Y/n walked on the path. She smiled at all the flowers that had closed up and squatted down to look at some of them.

"It's like your sleeping." She giggled, poking a closed flower bud. Y/n froze at the sound of a voice in the distance. She stood, looking around for a moment before walking deeper into the garden, trying to figure out who was in here with her.

Soon enough she found Shoto crouched down beside a creek, back facing her. Y/n raised an eyebrow at him.

"Whatcha doin?" Y/n whispered. Shoto seemed startled as he stood up quickly and turned to face her, a hand behind his back. 'Oh what's he hiding?' Y/n thought amusedly.

"What are you doing out so late in the gardens?" Shoto asked.

"What are you hiding so obviously behind your back?" Y/n placed a hand on her hip.

"Nothing." He said.
'What a child.' Y/n thought, suppressing a laugh.

"Your a terrible liar Shoto." Y/n said, walking towards him and trying to peek around to see his hidden hand. He shifted, blocking her view.

"C'mon what are you hiding? A murder weapon?" Y/n said sarcastically. Shoto didn't seem to understand sarcasm at all as he looked quite disturbed and quickly pulled his hand out from behind his back, showing her what he had hidden. Y/n gasped, her heart fluttering.

"A frog!!" Y/n awed at the cute little creature resting in his palm. "Why'd you hide this little guy from me?" Y/n pouted jokingly. Shoto scratched the back of his neck with his free hand.

"Sorry." He mumbled. Y/n waved a hand at him dismissively.

"Oh it's fine! What's his name?" Y/n asked Shoto. The boy shrugged, crouching back down to the small creek to let the frog hop back into the water. Y/n crouched down next to him, her shoulder brushing his. He immediately scooted over a little, putting distance in between them.
He looked over at her, eyes widening when he looked down.

"Your dress." He said, reaching over and pulling part of her dress out of the water. Y/n looked down.

"Ah, thank you." Y/n said, patting his shoulder as she stood up. Y/n began walking back to the manor. "Ah wait! Your book." Y/n said, walking back to him and pulling the book out of her dress pocket. Shoto nodded, taking the book from her hand and pocketing it.

"May I walk you back to your room?" He asked her.

"You may." Y/n laughed.