Ch 16

"I got the baskets!" Y/n said as she ran through the orchard to Shoto. She noticed he'd chosen a much lighter outfit than his usual multi-layered one. He wore a loose, white button up shirt which was tucked into his black dress pants.
"Even in an outfit so simple you still manage to look so pretty." Y/n thought as she set the baskets down in the grass.

"Thank you." He said, bending down to grab a basket.

"We should start at the end and work our way through." Y/n said, grabbing the wooden step ladder and leading Shoto to a tree. "Here, I'll pick and you hold the basket ok?" Y/n said as she climbed the small ladder. Shoto nodded as he held the basket out, ready to grab apples when y/n handed them to him.

"You got it?" Shoto asked as y/n twisted apples off the tree.

"Yep!" She said, handing him a couple of them. Y/n heard a soft 'pat' as Shoto set the apples down into the wicker basket.

This was another little memory y/n knew she'd be keeping forever. The sun had risen till it was in the center of the sky. A soft, cool, breeze blew and rustled the apple trees' leaves. Y/n giggled as the leaves tickled her arms while she picked the fruit. She could hear Shoto shift on his feet in the grass every so often to keep his legs from getting sore. She especially treasured the moments when his soft fingers brushed hers as she handed the fruit to him.

"You guys can stop and come eat lunch if you want!" Gin called from a little ways away.

"Alright!" Y/n shouted back and she climbed off the ladder. "I'll take those." Y/n smiled at Shoto as she took the basket from him. He simply nodded and followed her.

"Here you go!" Y/n said to Gin as she placed the heavy basket in his arms.

"Ah! Thanks a bunch! Food's in that basket over there!" He said as he walked away, taking the apples to the manor. Y/n and Shoto walked over to the small basket that sat on a little stool.

"Sandwiches!" Y/n said happily as she handed one to the stoic boy. Y/n sat in the grass with a sigh, Shoto following suit.

As the two of them ate in peace a little bird came and landed on Shoto's knee.

"Holy Crap..." y/n whispered as to not scare the bird. Shoto looked down at the bird and ripped a small piece of bread off of his sandwich. Y/n blinked at him as he fed the bird. "What kind of fairy tale is this....?" Y/n thought to herself as the small creature flew away.
She watched Shoto watch the bird fly away. He turned to look at her as he put the last of the bread in his mouth. Y/n looked away quickly, hoping he hadn't caught her staring.

"Hey you guys!" Gin said as he hurried back over to them, setting the now empty basket down. "Wanna help me plant some stuff?" He asked.

"Yeah!" Y/n said and stood up from the grass. Shoto watched her for a moment before standing as well and following the two over to the vegetable garden.

"Ah- y/n?" Gin said as he turned around.

"Yeah?" Y/n stopped walking.

"You wanna change into something more comfortable? That dress your wearing doesn't look like the kind you'd go digging the dirt in." Gin said as he pointed to her clothing.

"Ah...yeah that's probably a good idea....but what should I change into?" Y/n asked. She didn't exactly have much of a selection other than what the maids would set out for her in the morning.

"Don't worry about it! I've got some spare overalls and a shirt in the barn you can wear!" Gin said, leading her inside and leaving Shoto outside.
"I'll leave you to change, we'll be outside." He said as he left the barn. Y/n nodded and quickly changed into the clothing.