Ch 11

A day had passed and y/n found herself laying on her bed late at night after a full day of shopping with the maids. She was laying awake for one reason and one reason only.

She couldn't dance for the life of her and the ball was in a few days.

"Maybe I should go to the library...yeah they might have some books on that..." she got up slowly from her bed and walked out of her room, closing the door slowly and cringing when it creaked shut. She padded down the carpeted hall and up the small set of stairs to the library. She'd only ever come here with Shoto so coming alone- especially at night- felt strange. There were a few lanterns lit, Their flames only bright enough for y/n to see her feet as she walked.

Y/n walked through the various shelves skimming the covers of books for anything dance related...only to find nothing. In this treasure trove of knowledge where you could learn anything- there wasn't a single book on dance. Y/n sighed and started having a bit of an existential crisis. "How late is it? Shoto might still be up..." y/n whispered to herself. She'd picked up on the fact that he was a bit of a night owl.

Y/n headed back down the stairs and through the corridor opposite to her's. She remembered hearing from Fuyumi at some point that Shoto's room was on the farthest side, opposite from her room. She rounded a corner and found herself in a hallway that was mirrored to the hallway of her room. She paused a moment before knocking on the door quietly. The door opened a moment later. Shoto gave her a questioning look.

"Ah- sorry I must've woke you." Y/n apologized.

"What do you want?" He asked bluntly.

"SO- so the ball is in a couple of days." Y/n said

"Mhm." Shoto nodded.

"An uh- I have no idea how to dance." She whispered.

"There are books in the library." He said.

"Eh? I couldn't find any." Y/n's eyebrows furrowed. He walked out of the room causing y/n to stumble out of the way quickly.

"Come. I'll show you where they are." He said, taking her up the library stairs and through the shelves. He reached a hand up and pulled out a book, handing it to y/n.

"Did you bother looking up?" He asked amusedly as y/n flipped through the pages, skimming the info.

"No." She grumbled. Of course she wouldn't look higher on the shelf. Who would put books for dance that high?

As y/n read she quickly realized that this was all too complicated for her to understand right off the bat. "Wh- none of this is making sense." She said as she read through the steps. Shoto began walking away.

"Huh? Where you going?" She asked, following after him.

"To show you. Your obviously not going to learn through the book." He said.

The two of them entered the empty ballroom. Y/n shivered as her feet touched the cold floor. Shoto put out a hand for her to grab. Y/n placed her palm in his. His other hand came to her waist. Y/n's cheeks reddened and she had no idea what was going on.

"Hand on my shoulder." He said. Y/n rested her empty hand on his shoulder.
"Good. Now all you have to do is follow me." He said, beginning to move.

"Wh- what?" Y/n was already stumbling around like a baby deer. Her foot stepping on Shoto's.

"Agh." Shoto winced as she stepped on his foot. "Look just- mirror my steps." He said. Y/n looked down, watching his feet move and she began to move hers to match his. She was still messing up quite a lot but was slowly getting the hang of it.

"There you go." He said softly. Y/n felt her cheeks redden at the praise. They danced for a little while longer, Shoto occasionally whispering a tip to her.

Soon enough their dance came to a stop. Y/n's eyes came up from watching their feet to look at Shoto.
He held her gaze for a moment, eyebrows creasing for just a moment in concern before The expression quickly disappeared. Y/n tilted her head at him.

"I-I'll take you back to your room." Shoto said, dropping her hands.

"Ok." Y/n said, feeling a bit disappointed.

The two of them walked quietly, soon arriving at her room. Y/n opened the door, looking back at Shoto. He nodded and began walking away before y/n reached out a hand and grabbed onto his wrist. He looked over his shoulder at her.

"You ok?" Y/n asked him. Shoto only nodded and began walking once more, forcing y/n to let go of his hand. She sighed as she closed her door and flopped back onto her bed.
Y/n closed her eyes, trying to get at least some sleep before it was morning.