Ch 15

"I'm sorry."

Y/n looked up from the flowers she was gazing at. "Why're you sorry Shoto?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I fell asleep last night. I didn't even thank you." He said, bowing a little. "Thank you." He said. Y/n giggled at him and stood up from her seat in the grass.

"No need to be so formal. Letting me live here is a big enough thank you." She smiled at him. Shoto's eyebrows furrowed a little but he nodded at her, walking back out of the gardens. Y/n watched him go before she walked over to the small creek to look for frogs. She bent down, making sure not to get her dress too wet.

When her fingers touched the cool surface of the water she was reminded of the night Shoto had stolen her away from the ball to bring her to the lake. A small smile spread onto y/n's lips when she remembered how happy he'd looked for a brief moment.
He'd been laughing...the sound echoed in her mind as she remembered it.

Y/n's thoughts were cut short when she heard a little 'plop' in the water. She gasped and smiled when a little frog hopped out of the water and landed next to her. "Hey there little guy!" Y/n poked its back gently with her finger, the action making the frog hop again. She scooped the frog up into her palm. The sound of a stick snapping behind her made her jump up quickly. Her eyes met with Shoto's. He froze, looking startled that he'd startled her. Shoto cleared his throat before speaking.

"Uhm...what do you have? A murder weapon?" He said an awkward imitation of the joke she'd made a couple days ago. Y/n could feel her heart physically clench. 'Ahhh that was too cute.' She thought.

"D-Did you just make a joke?" Y/n said, holding in her laughter, not at the joke but instead his awkwardness.

"It was terrible wasn't it..." he said, discouraged and looking down at the ground.

"Pffft- kinda." Y/n said, walking over and grabbing his hand.

"Uh-," his cheeks flushed a little.

"C'mon, there's frogs over in the creek." She said, leading him to sit down beside the creek and placing the frog back in the water. The two of them sat in silence, watching a couple of frogs hop around.

"You know...if you want to thank me..." y/n said quietly.

"Hm?" Shoto said, looking up from the stream.

"Why don't you play me a song?" She smiled at him smugly.

"On the piano?" Shoto asked.

"Mhm!" Y/n nodded. Shoto sighed and stood up, y/n following him. They made their way to the empty ballroom, shoes clicking on the marble floor. Shoto uncovered the piano and sat down at the seat. Y/n stood a little ways behind him.

Shoto began, his fingers dancing across the keys. The song he played felt bittersweet. The notes would climb up into happier tones before falling back into a more melancholy tune. It echoed in the empty ballroom and just as the song began to end y/n walked towards him slowly, leaning down to whisper in his ear.

"It's beautiful." She whispered. Shoto let out a small gasp, his fingers missing a key as he abruptly stopped his playing. He turned to look at her, their noses barely touching. He blinked in shock before standing and stumbling back. Y/n giggled at him.

"I-uhm I should go." Shoto said, adjusting his shirt and walking quickly out of the ballroom. Y/n watched him leave. She was a little disappointed as she sighed and turned to look at the piano for a moment before covering it back up. 'Shoto...You get embarrassed so easily.' She thought to herself laughing. Y/n was about to walk out of the ballroom when she was met with the looming figure of Enji blocking her path. She froze in fear.