Ch 13

Y/n had just put her nightgown on when she heard her door creak open slowly. She saw a familiar set of two toned eyes peer at her through the slightly opened door.

"Pffft- you can come in Shoto." She giggled at him. He opened the door quietly and walked in, shutting the door behind him.
"Calm?" Y/n asked him. His only answer was a nod as he stood awkwardly, not daring come any closer.

"I like your dress..." he mumbled from where he stood. Y/n chuckled at him.

"It's just my nightgown?" Y/n raised an eyebrow at him.

"It's nice..." he said quietly. Y/n smiled and backed up, sitting down on her bed.

"Come and sit." She said, patting the spot beside her. Shoto nodded and sat down next to her.
"Mind if I ask what happened?" Y/n said in a gentle tone.

"It's my old man..." Shoto responded, his fists tightening a little. "He gets mad at the stupidest things." Y/n nodded, listing to Shoto rant. "He's the one that ruined everything." Shoto's voice died down to an angered whisper.
Y/n felt concerned.

"What did he ruin?" Y/n asked, eyebrows creasing in worry.

"This Family. We'd be happier without him." Shoto said, his tone growing cold. Y/n watched his usually expressionless face give off small hints of anger and sadness, her own heart twinging in pain for him. "My mother..." Shoto began to open up. "She...was a human." Y/n's eyes widened a bit but she stayed silent. "My father bought her." Shoto said, disgust filling his voice. "I guess after some time he realized that he wouldn't live forever and...he needed someone of his blood to run the manor once he died so..." Shoto was silent for a while before speaking again. "So he made her one of us with the hopes that she could..." y/n watched his face contort to horror, as if he was reliving something. "So she could have my siblings and me." He said, exhaling. Y/n nodded.

"After she had me...her body couldn't take it. She was sick for years...my father drove her crazy and..." his hand went up to his face, fingers ghosting the scar over his left eye. "He caused this." Shoto whispered.

"Did your mother-," y/n began to ask but Shoto cut her off.

"It wasn't her fault. She was pushed too much. I don't blame her for anything." Shoto said quickly. "It's all his damn fault." The smallest sob was heard from him and y/n looked to him in worry.

Shoto had his head hung, arms resting on his legs. Y/m couldn't see his face anymore but every so often she saw him shudder. A tear fell and landed on his arm.

"Hey...hey- it's ok." Y/n said, scooting closer to him. Her arm hovered over his back, not wanting to touch him suddenly and startle him. Shoto was silent, other than the occasional sniffle. "Hey, look at me." Y/n said gently, her other hand coming to turn Shoto's head towards her. Slowly he looked, eyebrows furrowed. He looked guilty, worried....scared?
"It's ok Shoto...your ok..." y/n tried her best to give words of comfort.

For a moment he looked vulnerable...before his face contorted into confusion and then discomfort. Shoto stood quickly and began to leave.

"W-wait! Shoto? Where are you g-," the door slammed and y/n was left alone in her room once more.
"What the hell?" She whispered to herself.
"Did I say the wrong thing? Did I say something to upset him?" Y/n began to worry.  She sighed and walked out to the small balcony, sitting down and looking up at the dark sky.

Shoto was a complicated person and y/n knew this. And now that she knew a little more about him his mysteries only seemed to grow. Y/n sighed and stood up, closing her window and laying down in bed to sleep...or at least try to.

~next day~

Y/n headed out of her room when morning came. As she rounded the corner she was met with Shoto who gave her a look that looked like a mix between surprise and concern. He quickly turned around and headed the other way. "Avoiding me now huh?" Y/n thought. She walked down the stairs and into the dining hall to eat breakfast.

After eating a maid asked her a question. "If it's not too much y/n could you go down to the farm and grab some eggs?" She asked.

"Yeah sure!" Y/n said smiling and took the basket that was handed to her. She headed out and down the stone path through the small forest and into the clearing.

"Hey puppy!" Y/n greeted the dog as she walked to the fence. Gin jogged over to let her in.

"It's been awhile y/n! How've you been?" He asked her. Y/n smiled and walked into the fenced area.

"I've been good, I came to get some eggs." She said.

"Ah! I'll take you to the coop!" Gin said, leading her around the side of the barn. Y/n nodded and walked into the small little coop, taking the eggs and thanking him once she'd finished.

"See you later!" Gin waved to her as she left.
Y/n waved from the path and walked back inside the manor.

"Got them!" Y/n said as she walked to the kitchens.

"Ah! Thank you so much! Just set them on the table." A maid said to her. Y/n nodded and set the basket on the table. She was about to leave when the maid spoke to her once again. "Have you seen Shoto today? He didn't come down to eat this morning..." she asked y/n.

"Yeah I saw him this morning before I came down." Y/n said.

"Oh...strange. Well, I thought I'd ask you since he seems to be closer to you than most." The maid spoke.

"I don't know about close...he's been avoiding me recently." Y/n said.

"Ah...well I guess there's a limit to how close you can get to Shoto." The maid laughed.

"Yeah..." y/n said, leaving the kitchen to go outside.

She took a deep breath once she was out. She was still worried about what had caused him to get so upset with her the night before.