Ch 5

Y/n said goodnight to the maid that had escorted her. Now walking into her room she noticed a clean nightgown had been laid out for her. She slipped out of her dress and into the nightgown, pulling her covers back and sliding under them. 'Is there something about this room that bothers Shoto?' Y/n sighed and turned to lay on her side, slowly drifting off.

After maybe a half hour or so she was woken by her own parched throat.

"Mph, thirsty." She mumbled as she sluggishly slid out of bed and walked out of her room.  Her bare feet made small muffled patting sounds as she walked along the carpeted corridor and down the marble stairs. The cold marble floors made her wince. The dining hall doors creaked open slightly and y/n slipped in. Heading for what she assumed to be the kitchen doors. Y/n gently pushed the door open slowly, not wanting to scare anyone if anyone was inside.

"Oh! M-my lady what can I do for you?" A maid asked as she scrubbed away at dishes.

"Could I have some water?" Y/n asked, realizing how childish she sounded. The maid smiled amusedly at her and poured her a glass. Y/n took the cold glass from her with a 'thank you' and left. She was about to head back up the stairs when she heard faint singing coming from a door nearby. Curious, she left her glass of water on the bottom step and walked over to the door, creaking it open slowly.

A large empty open room with large windows on each wall stretched ahead of her. 'This must be the ballroom.' Y/n was in awe. It was quite beautiful. It must look even more so filled with laughing people waltzing around the room with various snack tables in the corners.

And then y/n noticed the singing once more. It sounded closer, though nobody was here. She walked closer to the sound and as she drew nearer she could make out an almost transparent figure waltzing by their lonesome.

"E-excuse me...are you a ghost?" Y/n asked quietly. The figure stopped their dance and turned to look at her. It was a woman...or at least the ghost of one.

"Dance with me child..." the ghost woman smiled kindly at her. Y/n could barely feel the touch of the woman's hands as her transparent figure led her in a dance. Her humming seemed to surround her. Y/n was in awe yet again. This ghost woman was beautiful...Her long white flowing locks seemed to flow with her every movement. Her grey eyes held a warm kindness. She seemed to almost glow.

"W-who are you?" Y/n whispered, following the woman's movements.

"I've long passed." She said wistfully.
Y/n's eyes furrowed in sadness. Despite this woman having such a loving aura y/n could feel something like regret hovering around the woman. Y/n opened her mouth to speak once more but closed it when she noticed that the woman had stopped her slow waltz.

"You have a kind heart." She spoke, her voice seeming to echo inside y/n's head. Her grey eyes looked deeply into y/n's own.
"Take care of my son for me...please..." and with a saddened smile she was gone.
Y/n felt a twinge of sadness tug in her heart for the woman. Who was her son? Y/n knew this poor boy probably needed some comforting.

With a sigh she exited the ballroom and picked her glass of water off the stairs and headed up. Just as she began walking back through the corridor she heard footsteps walking towards her.
Y/n looked up, it was Shoto. He stopped walking upon noticing her coming down the hall as well. It was silent as the two stared at each other for a few moments. Shoto cleared his throat, making y/n jump a little.

"Why are you out at such a late hour?" He asked. Y/n felt as if she was in trouble despite the fact that she was free to do what she pleased.

"I was thirsty so I went to get some water." She held the glass of clear liquid up as proof. Shoto looked to the glass and nodded.

"May I walk you back to your room?" He gestured in the direction of her room. Y/n nodded with a smile. This was new, something other than the cold Shoto she'd seen at the dining hall. Though, he was still cold but...less so. He at least pretended like he cared about her wellbeing. As she walked beside him she noticed he was till in his day clothes. 'How long does he stay up?' Y/n thought to herself. She quickly became embarrassed at the fact that she was in her nightgown and barefoot at that. 

They arrived at her door shortly. Y/n thanked Shoto and began to push her door open but stopped to turn around again.

"I-uh..." she said, grabbing Shoto's attention. He turned to look at her once again.

"Uh, look. I know this is none of my business, but I've been here for a couple days and you haven't asked for blood yet. I just wanted to let you know that you don't have to be afraid to ask." Y/n didn't know how long a vampire could go without getting a drink of blood. Hadn't Fuyumi said it was like water for them? Three days without water is dangerous territory for a human so y/n assumed it was the same for vampires.

"I'm quite alright, thank you for your concern." And with that he walked off.
Y/n let out a sigh and closed her door. She snuggled back under the covers though she couldn't seem to find sleep till much later.