The Gala ~ Oliver Queen

send me some non oliver queen requests, s'il vous plaît.

not that Oliver isn't still the one and only love of my life but he might not be the love of your life and I'm tryna be inclusive 😭

~

Your face is pulled back into somewhat of a grimace as you hold the eyebrow pencil in your hands and start to draw on your eyebrows, starting with feather-like strokes and the beginning and fading them out into the perfect tail. Getting the first brow was easy, the tricky part came when trying to get the two to match.

"Are you ready?"

You're so concentrated, you don't even see that Oliver is behind you watching you intently in the mirror.

"Almost, did you pick a wig?" You ask not looking at him as you finish up the tail on the second brow.

You'd had alopecia since your late teens and almost always wore wigs when you exited the house. It took you a really long time to not wear a wig around Oliver let alone have him pick one out for you.

"I was thinking blonde today, m'lady?" He smiles, gingerly brandishing the wig from behind his back and holding it out to you with unnecessary caution.

You laugh at his cheekiness and take the wig from him with a frantic flourish.

"Thank you very much kind, sir," You mock as you grab the wig from him and secure it to your head, before grabbing your purse and exiting the apartment hand and hand with Oliver.

~

You and Oliver arrived at the gala about an hour ago and you spent a good chunk of your time on his arm while he mingled with all of the guests. You needed a break and opted to stand in the furthest corner from human interaction. Instinctively, your eyes swept the crowd for the mop of buzzed blonde hair you'd grown to love. Your heart faltered slightly when you spotted him laughing with a group of girls. Pretty girls. His exes. Long legs, small nose, thin waist, real blonde hair. Oliver had a type and it was not you. That's the kind of girl that belonged with Oliver, not you. Your heart tightened slightly at the sight.

"People watching at your boyfriend's gala?" 

You startle at the voice but relax when you see it's just Thea.

"Yeah. I can't be social for too long without feeling drained. We can't all be Ollie," You joke smiling softly and refocusing your attention on Oliver's smiling face.

"What's wrong?" Thea asks sliding in your line of sight and cocking her head in concern.

You sigh softly, thinking about lying. You could say nothing and walk away and she'd be none the wiser but you relent. The only way you would feel even remotely better is if you get it off your chest.

"I never feel good enough," you start, your eyes betraying you and getting watery,"You look at them, all the girls he's loved before, Sara, Laurel, Felicity, and they're so much more than I'll ever be. I know he says he loves me but how is it possible when there are women that look like that? Why is he settling for less?"

By the time you're done you have tears streaming down your face and Thea frowns firmly as she thinks of ways to make you feel better. She knows that every word you said is false. She knows that you are more than good enough and most of all she knows that Oliver loves you more than all of his exes combined.

You start to walk away, hell-bent on just going home and wallowing in self-pity, but Thea stops you, "You're more than good enough, Y/N. The only one struggling to accept that is you. Hair doesn't define your worth, it never has and never will."

~

A few hours later, despite Thea's encouragement, you're buried under the covers bawling your eyes out. Not feeling good about yourself wasn't something that was easy to overcome. It's hard to feel comfortable and remember that your lover loves you when you struggle to even love yourself.

It was nothing that he did, he treated you like a queen. He loved you better than anyone else, but one intrusive thought changes everything.

You hear the front door open, and take a deep breath knowing Oliver's first stop was going to be to your shared bedroom.

"Babe?" He calls out and you can hear his heavy footsteps marching towards the door.

You suck back the tears that you were holding in, determined to cry in front of him, and not even 3 seconds later the bedroom door swung open.

"Hey, why didn't you tell me you were leaving? I would have gone with you," Oliver asks loosening his tie, but he stops short when he sees your puffy eyes, "Are you okay?"

That's all it took. Three words and the dam you fortified came crashing down. You begin sobbing uncontrollably, it's ugly and painful, but Oliver is by your side before the first tear can slip from your face. He's soft, he's gentle and his arms are enveloping you with warmth and love. You can feel the love radiating from him. So much love that it's suffocating. and addicting, and it makes you feel worse for crying. Makes you feel like you're cheapening his love by being near him. 

Eventually, your tears have slowed enough for Oliver to pull away slightly and his eyes bore deeply into yours.

"I need you to talk to me," He begs, the weight of your sadness visibly affecting him.

You shakily relent and tell him everything you told Thea earlier today.

"Y/N," his frown somehow deepens and he pulls you in for a tight hug.

It's a long, well-needed hug that you instantly melt into and wrap your arms tightly around him.

"I love you. Only you and all of you," He murmurs against your neck pressing a firm kiss to the spot before pulling back to tenderly plant a kiss on your lips, "I fell in love with you because I love you. Because you are literally the only person on the planet I've ever felt this strongly for. Because you're strong and kind and patient and fucking beautiful. Hair doesn't make or break us. I love you too much for that to ever change the way I feel for you."

You smile softly boring into the beautiful eyes of the man you fell in love with.

"I love you more." You tease leaning in for another kiss that he happily supplies.

It didn't fix everything, but it was a hell of a step forward.

Don't question the fact that it has been like a year. Just let it be <3