Chapter 38

Veronica's POV

I was sitting on the terrace staring into the abyss as I sip on my drink. Tyler approached me, he's the preacher's son. He's very nice and sensitive, we needed something like him here.

"Why did you let her go? Your brother was selfish enough to keep me. I was glad he did because we'll be together forever with our family, you could've done the same" Tyler said.

"I'm not selfish, I didn't want to turn her then whore around man. Do you know how hard it is to risk her life and the people around her just because we chose to be together? Do you know how fucked up it is to know I'll die without having sex with man even though I already have someone special that's worth dying for. I can't stand living knowing that she'll have to endure it all forever, even if I can make her happy that doesn't mean I have to be the reason of her endless agony. Might as well let her go and move on than made her suffer" I stated and he scooted closer to me and rubbed my back to comfort me and I hugged him, how I wish I can be happy as them.

"Does she know this reason? What did she say?" He asked me.

"I tried to tell her but she's stubborn and persistent, she keep telling me she'll endure it all but I wasn't stupid I don't want her to regret it and get stuck with it forever. To love is selfless and I chose to be selfless, I want her to be safe and live a normal life, so I removed myself on her memory, it was the only way she'll move on and forget about me. Even if it hurts me as long as I can see her happy" I answered him.

"You really love her" He stated.

"More than I could imagine" I said as I tried to pull off a smile.

"It's scary how you can love someone so much" I added.

"Trust me, I know. I wish I could do something to give her back to you" He softly stated.

"I don't want her back, we're better off this way" I answered him.

"Did you regret it?" He asked me as he turned to me.

"I do, but there things you regret doing but you're glad you did anyways" He was about to reply when a baby started wailing.

"that's my cue" He joked as he walked back inside the house.

I fucking love you Natalie. I will forever do.

———— A few month later————

I decided to visit Natalie since Alexandra told me that she was having dreams about her memories of me, up until now I didn't know how she could remember our memories and call out my name in her sleep, Al didn't know what to do.

I appeared in her bedroom. It seems like nothing had change at all, except for the picture in the picture frame on her desk.

I stared at Natalie's calm sleeping body, her mouth was slightly parted for breathing and she looked so peaceful. It's been a month since I've seen her but it's almost eight months since she last saw me.

I sat down on the bed next to her to caress her cheeks when she caught my arm as if she saw it coming. I was shocked but when she leaned in my touch I forgot all my worries as if I wanted to just stay and never leave. I didn't want this to last. She didn't made my heart beat but she taught me how to love. Suddenly, I felt a wet sensation on her cheeks, then I figured she was crying.

"don't leave me!" She begged loudly with her eyes still close, she's dreaming of me again.

"Don't leave, please" She begged again, but this time it was as if she was just whispering it to herself. Damn did it hurt me when she pleaded, even when she's asleep she missed me.

"Shh.... I'm here now" I cooed as I tried to comfort her without waking her up. It seems to soothe her but her tears was still running down her cheeks. So I did what she usually asked me to do when she had a nightmare-to sing her to sleep.

"Little do you know
I know your hurting
While your sound asleep
Little do you know
all my mistakes
Are slowly drowning me
Little do you know
I'm try'na make it better piece by piece
Little do you know I
I love you till the sun dies" I sang to her and her tears eased.

I kissed her forehead when I knew I've already done my job, time to face reality again. As I stood up she suddenly spoke.

"Please" She begged quietly.

"Stay" She whispered in her sleep, I smiled at her softly.

"I can't stay but that doesn't mean I'm leaving you" I told her as I disappeared in her room.

When she wake up she won't remember me again, but I know that the heart never forgets. She's happy on her life now and I didn't want to ruin what I've broken already, I know I cannot fix it but I can refrain from breaking it even more.

I wanted to cry in hurt, I wanted to scream in frustration, I want to be normal-but I can't.

"I promise you, I'll always be there even if you don't know it-even if you don't need it anymore"