Chapter 5: Hanging out

Rebekah's POV

As we arrived home that evening, I felt as if I was forgetting something. What was I forgetting? My phone starts to buzz with text messages.

Carson: Hey, where are you? I thought we were going to hang out.

That's what I was forgetting. I forgot I was hanging out with a cute guy that I possibly like.

me: OMG i'm so sorry. During our performance, I dislocated my knee. I had to go to the hospital. Totally forgot about our plans. You can still come to my house if you want.

Carson: Yeah, sounds good. I hope your knee gets better. I'll see you at 6?

I look at my watch. 5:00.

Calum and Michael, who I'm sitting in between, look at th phone. "We totally forgot about that. That gives your dad more time to interrogate him". Michael says softly, trying not to get Ashton's attention.

"Don't worry, I can distract him", Calum laughs.

"Good because I'm not hitting my hand against that table again. That crap hurt". We all laugh. Luke gives us a weird look. "What're you laughing at?" Michael shakes his head. "Nothing".

To be honest, I don't know why Calum and Michael are trying to help me. Why are they so interested and willing to help me?

As we get home, Ashton makes himself tea. "Dad, my friend Carson is coming over". I look anywhere but his eyes. "Why do I feel like there's something I don't know". I freeze up.

"I don't know, maybe you're hallucinating".

The doorbell rings and I run to it before anyone else can. "Hey Carson". He gives me a smile. Letting him into the house, I limp with my crutches over to the couch.

The boys come into the room. "Hello, I'm Ashton, Rebekah's dad". The rest of the boys introduce each other.

"Okay, now that we've done introductions, we're going upstairs".

"Beki, don't forget to leave the door". I blush. "Let's go".

"Welcome to my home". I lead him to my room. "Cute bedroom". He says as he looks around.

"So how long do you have to wear that cast?"

"6 weeks, which means no cheering for me". I frown.

Cheering is a part of my life. It's the one thing that helped me when I was struggling. When it got taken away from me, I was not the same. You maybe asking questions. What do you mean? Well, you'll find out soon enough.

I know my dad still feels guilty about what happened. All the boys do. It was right in front of their faces the whole time. I'm not mad about what happened. Life happens, and it sucks.

"Your favorite candy is starbursts?" I ask him. "What about chocolate?" Carson shrugs his shoulders.

We were now asking each other questions.

"Ummm I hope you don't mind me asking this, but where's your mom?" I freeze. What do I tell him.

"She died", it wasn't the complete truth. Okay it was a lie, but if I told him the truth, he would think I was some sort of freak.

"I'm sorry". An akward silence was placed on us.

"Do you want to watch TV or something. He nods his head and I turn to the Netflix app on my TV. We start to watch 13 Reasons Why. (That show is honestly really good).

After the 4th episode, Carson has to leave. "Bye, I'll see you at school?" I nod my head. "I'll text you later". With that he opens the door and leaves.

"Rebekah, can I speak to you for a minute?" I look to see Luke standing there. We go into his room. "Love, why did you tell Carson that your mom died?" I shrug my shoulders. I guess he heard our conversation.

"I just thought that if I told him, he'd think I was a freak, or weird". Luke hugs me. "Beki, I doubt Carson would think you're a freak. To be honest, I think Carson likes you".

"Michael and Calum are trying to be your wingmen, right?" I nod my head and he laughs. "That's why they've been acting weirder than usual".

We laugh at this. "Seriously though, you need to tell him".

He's right, I need to tell Carson. I don't have to right now, though. I can wait.