4

ROYAL BLOOD
— 4. The King's Whore

  In their chambers, the ladies appointed to them were lying on their beds on the ground, resting but most definitely not sleeping

In their chambers, the ladies appointed to them were lying on their beds on the ground, resting but most definitely not sleeping. Nora seemed to be the only one to notice that.

While Cecily was playing with Katherine in another part of the room, Lizzie and Lizbeth were spending time together off to the side.

Their eyes were on Nora, however, watching her closely as she snuck around the resting ladies without being noticed.

Watching her place a piece of paper with writing on it down on a nightstand, Lizzie and Lizbeth began to walk over to Nora. "Who's it to?" Lizzie asked the woman curiously

Nora turned to the two young women, placing a finger over her lips. "They are awake," She whispered, gesturing to the Tudor spies posing as their attending ladies.

Lizbeth looked over at the three ladies before back at her mother. "Who is it to?" She asked her mother in a hushed tone, desperate to know the answer.

Nora glanced around anxiously, just before look back at Lizbeth and Lizzie. "Your aunt in Burgundy," She answered in a calm tone, "I told your brother to go to her. We must pray to God that he will get there."

"How will you deliver it?" Lizbeth asked and Nora remained silent, not answering the question.

She folded the letter up before placing it in the pocket of her cloak. "You need not know, my love, but I will need your help in getting it to that person," She whispered quietly.

No more than an hour later, when it was time for mass, Nora led the way with her daughters and step-daughters, alongside their ladies, followed after them.

She suddenly stopped, however, trying to contain her smirk as she turned to face Lizbeth and Lizzie. "I forgot my prayer book," She complained, briefly giving the two girls a knowing look.

"I'll go back and get it," Lizbeth decided and Lizzie was quick to speak up as well.

"I shall come with you," Lizzie agreed and Nora smiled at them both thankfully.

"Thank you, girls," She told them and the sisters smiled back at her.

The ladies appointed to serve them glanced between Lizbeth and her sister and then at Nora. They felt confused, not knowing who they were supposed to follow.

By the time they decided to follow Nora, they found her to be nowhere in sight.

Once getting away, it didn't take long for Nora to get outside to the courtyard without being seen. After all, she had been born and raised at that castle. She knew her way around Westminster better than anyone living there now.

Since it was raining outside, Nora used her cloak to shield herself from getting wet. She walked through the courtyard until she reached the stables, where she found the stableboy Ned.