39

ROYAL BLOOD
— 39. Madman

    That afternoon, Henry entered his council room

    That afternoon, Henry entered his council room. He found his mother there, standing with her two ladies as they looked through some old documents.

The ladies curtsied before their king. With that, they left the room, leaving Henry alone with his mother.

"They look at me," Henry spoke up as he walked toward his mother, who slowly looked up at him instead of at the document, "They plot behind my back. They love him more than me."

Margaret sighed, not responding as she looked back down at the document she was holding.

Henry studied his mother closely, unable to stop thinking about what George had said. He publicly accused Margaret of killing his brothers and Katherine. It accused her as if he knew for a fact that it was the truth. What if George was right?

"What have you done with his child?" Henry asked, seeing as though he had never been informed of any decision being made about the child. Margaret had made the decision on her own and hadn't even consulted him beforehand.

It made him feel uneasy. It made him think about the time where she poisoned Grace in his name and never told him. Even then, he defended his mother to Lizbeth, believing Margaret was innocent when in truth, she wasn't. What if the same was happening now?

"Do not concern yourself with such matters," Margaret replied, trying to act as though he was worried about nothing of concern.

"What?" Henry asked softly, furrowing his eyebrows at Margaret as he slowly walked toward her, "Am I to be protected from the truth again? As you and Jasper always thought I should be. What else do I not know?"

Henry stopped when he was standing in front of Margaret. He leaned closer to her, beginning to speak in a whisper. "What Jasper would have told me in the hour before he died. It hovers on the edges of my mind. Sometimes in the night, I think I hear him whisper it, but as I lean in close to his lips, all I hear is the rush of the wind," he explained to his mother in a venomous tone and Margaret tried to hide her uneasiness, "Nothing."

Margaret slowly looked Henry in the eyes, trying to maintain composure. "He would have told you that he loves you," She told him in a calm tone, "That he sacrificed his life to put you on the throne and you must keep it, or you will betray his memory."

"Would he, Mother? Or is there something he would tell me about a game of cards?" Henry asked in a low and almost threatening tone, "The Boy has publicly accused you of killing the York princes and Princess Katherine. He seems to believe it. No one can act that angry just for show. It was true rage," he paused, leaning closer to his mother in a threatening manner, "I know you poisoned Grace, hoping to take Lizbeth away from me but you ended up killing the wrong person. Who's to say you didn't kill Katherine and the others as well?"