11

ROYAL BLOOD
— 11. Imprisonment

    In one of the main rooms, Lizbeth stood with Henry, who was directing the servants as she readied the armor he was going to wear on the royal progress

In one of the main rooms, Lizbeth stood with Henry, who was directing the servants as she readied the armor he was going to wear on the royal progress. "Henry, which route will the Progress take?" She asked Henry, who immediately turned to face her.

"Why do you ask?" He responded, standing across from her with only the table in separating them.

"I have some old friends that I'd like to see if we journey close," She answered in a calm tone, earning a curious look from Henry.

"Old Yorks?" He questioned, but felt as though he already knew the answer.

  "Perhaps once long ago but they are Yorks no longer. My house is broken now, after all," She explained and despite having a small smile on his face, Lizbeth knew he was trying to hide his disappointment and shame.

"Thanks to me," He admitted softly, a guilty look on his face.

"We need not speak of it," She insisted and Henry nodded in agreement, knowing how Lizbeth constantly made sure to never mention what happened to Arthur and Thomas because it pained her too much.

She took a deep breath, just before continuing on with her suggestion. "If I do not even pay my respects to them, they will think I am your prisoner, that you've forced the famous willful daughter of King Edward IV into submission, that you've broken me beyond repair," She explained, causing Henry to feel uneasy.

"And how shall that help support your image of two Houses united by a happy, peaceable marriage?" She questioned, her lips curling upwards, "Perhaps even loving?"

She batted her eyelashes with him and by the way he let out a large sigh, Lizbeth knew she was winning.

"We will journey via Northampton through to Nottingham and up to Lancaster," He explained, earning a deeply confused look from Lizbeth.

"And what of York?" Lizbeth asked, earning a weird look from Henry.

"You must be mad if you think I'm foolish enough to travel through that place. The place is for its namesake, after all. The last stronghold of traitors resides there. Going there would mean my head," He explained and Lizbeth found herself smiling in amusement.

"I know that look," Henry commented, causing Lizbeth's smirk to become even wider, "You know something that I do not. What is it?"

"You're telling me you won't go to York because of a supposed 'stronghold' of traitors that literally only consists of three Stafford rebels who have no one else by their side?" She questioned, letting out a loud laugh, "Avoiding York because you fear them only makes them stronger. You have dozens of Tudor guards with you and there's only three of them. If you don't go, they'll think you a coward and they'll be made as an example. People will think that if the Staffords rebel and get away with it, they can as well."