7

ROYAL BLOOD
— 7. The Past

       Edward entered Nora's room, finding her sitting at her vanity

       Edward entered Nora's room, finding her sitting at her vanity. Her back was facing him and it was clear that she was ignoring him.

"I laid with Elizabeth as you told me to," Edward uneasily informed her, but still, Nora didn't turn to look at him, "You said I could only return to you only when she was carrying my child and she is."

Edward sighed, growing impatient with Nora. "Can you at least look at me, Nora?" He sighed in defeat, "How many times must I say sorry?" He asked and still, she didn't respond, "Can you forgive me?"

"I've made an awful mistake. Our affair was an awful mistake," Nora suddenly spoke up, turning to Edward with tears in her eyes.

"Please don't say that," Edward pleaded, shaking his head desperately.

"There were a thousand times where I could have stopped this affair, before it went too far. But I didn't. You want to know why? Because I'm utterly in love with you, Edward. Now, I am the mother of two of your children, yet I am not your wife," She paused, letting out a large scoff, "No, instead of making our marriage public, you marry another."

"After what happened, I didn't think you cared if I lived or died. Elizabeth Woodville was--" He began to explain, only to have Nora cut him off.

"Don't say her name!" Nora shouted at Edward angrily, "Or anything else to me, ever again, Edward."

Edward stood in place, refusing to leave where he stood. He stared down at Nora, a saddened look on his face. "I love you. And you love me. I know it."

"Look where that love has brought us, Edward," She whispered to him softly.

"How can you say that?" Edward complained, a look of betrayal on his face.

"How could you marry her?" She snapped at him in a venomous tone and Edward sighed in defeat, "I won't be content with being second best, Edward. Not now, not ever."

Edward scoffed, moving closer to Nora. He knelt before her, cupping her face in his hands. "You would never be second best to me, Nora," He argued, a look of disbelief on his face, "You would always come first for me. No matter what. I promise. She might be the queen in the eyes of England, but to me, you are my queen. My queen in all but name and the only person I'd ever bend my knee to," He paused, feeling uneasy, "You must not tell anyone this, but a part of me believe that if it came down to choosing between my kingdom and you, I'd choose you without second thought."

Nora's eyes widened at the confession, but still, she nodded. She smiled softly, beginning to speak in a whisper. "I forgive you," She responded and Edward smiled gratefully, "I forgive, Edward. I'll always forgive you, no matter what you've done, do you not realize that?"