21

ROYAL BLOOD
— 21. Loyalty

 Loyalty

  It was morning time. At Bermondsey Abbey, Lizzie spent the only hour she was allowed to outside. Near the orchard, an apple was suddenly thrown down, causing her to frown.

She looked up, only to see a young boy sitting in a tree, throwing apples.

He gestured for her to take the apple he just threw down and Lizzie was hesitant at first, just before she finally obeyed.

She picked up the apple. She looked down at it, seeing that the middle of the apple had been carved out, yet placed back in. She brought the apple to her lips. She used her teeth to grab ahold of the stem before she yanked it.

She removed the middle part of the apple, finding there to be a small rolled up message inside. She glanced around, making sure the monks weren't watching before she took the message out of the apple and began to read it.

My dear Lizzie,

I have heard of what they've done to you and you needn't worry. My daughter might have turned her back on you, but I will not. I ask you to come join me in Burgundy if that is what you please.

Your sisters might have given up on vengeance, but I know you have not. I know you want to make them pay for they did to Arthur and I promise you, if you join me, we shall make them pay together. What they have done to wrong our family will not go unpunished. I shall send you another letter soon of the plan I have to get you out of there.

Sincerely
Nora

Lizzie smiled with satisfaction as she read over the letter, happy that she wasn't being abandoned as she once thought.

____

In the throne room, Lizbeth stood alone, holding her sleeping son in her arms. She looked down, smiling at the sight of him.

Once she heard footsteps, however, Lizbeth turned her heard, seeing that Margaret had entered. She had a smile on her face as she walked around Lizbeth until she finally stopped in front of her.

"There's very little York about him," Margaret commented as she looked down at little Arthur.

"I beg to differ," Lizbeth retorted, causing Margaret's satisfied smile to fade, "He has my mother's eyes and my father's wide feet."

Margaret looked directly at Lizbeth, trying to contain her disdain. "I'm glad we can be friends at last."

Lizbeth let out a loud laugh, raising her head to look Margaret in the eyes. "You must be mad if you think I would ever be friends with you after you framed my sister, my only friend, the same way you did my mother after killing my brothers and my sister."