20

ROYAL BLOOD
— 20. Burns

  The moment Lizbeth had seen the carriage that carried her son arrive, she ran outside as fast as she could, sprinting toward it

Cecily had gotten out of the carriage first, holding her arms outwards for the midwife to place Arthur in.

Arthur began to cry and Lizbeth felt somewhat relieved to see that he was still fine.

"Give him to me," Lizbeth demanded, a desperate look on her face, "Give him to me!"

The midwife obeyed Lizbeth, placing the boy in his mother's arms while Cecily smiled happily. "I have been practicing," she informed her sister, "I am to be a married woman. To John Welles. he's Lady Margaret's half-brother, so he's very close to the throne."

"Didn't Father and my mother kill his brother?" Lizbeth frowned in confusion, recalling that when she, Arthur, Thomas, and Grace resided at Pembroke Castle with Henry, her mother had rode across England to help Edward win a battle that was secretly orchestrated by Lord Warwick and not the Lancasters as they once thought.

Nora had manipulated Margaret's half-brother into running across the battlefield to tell Edward the truth behind the battle. There, he begged for mercy, and Edward ended up driving a sword through his belly.

"We needn't speak of that," Cecily demanded as she continued to smile, "He's rich and handsome. He smiled at me through the whole christening. Lady Margaret says I'm to have him."

"Does he have a say in it?" Maggie commented, earning an amused smile from Lizbeth.

However, it ended up fading when she looked around to see Lizzie nowhere in sight. "Where is our sister?" She asked, a concerned look on her face.

"Perhaps you should ask your husband," Cecily encouraged Lizbeth as she gestured toward something behind her.

Lizbeth turned her head, only to see Margaret staring at them. She exchanged a brief look with Lizbeth, just before walking away with her ladies following soon after her.

Lizbeth had wasted no time heading back into the castle, walking in the direction she knew Henry would have gone in. She soon locked eyes on him and was quick to speak up. "Henry?" She called out, causing Henry to stop walking.

He turned to face her, giving Lizbeth the time to walk over to him while holding their crying son.

"He cried throughout," Henry informed Lizbeth as he thought about the story he was once told as a boy by Nora about how Lizbeth's brother Arthur had remained quiet throughout his own christening, which had shocked everyone, "I suppose that's what they do," He continued on, trying to force himself to stop thinking about the man he killed that happened to be his own wife's brother.

"It is," Lizbeth replied, no longer speaking kindly to him as she did before he left and Henry already knew why, "Would you mind telling me where my sister Lizzie is? It seems she did not return with you lot and I'd like to know where she is. She is apart of my household, after all."