45

ROYAL BLOOD
— 45. The Beginning of the End

   The following day, Lizbeth stood in a room at the Tower of London, trying to maintain a stern-looking face as a clueless Teddy was brought to her

Her eyes widened when she found him standing before, feeling uneasy. Teddy, who was oblivious, laughed happily as he rushed over to his cousin and hugged her.

Lizbeth gasped as he tightly hugged her and despite feeling hesitant to do so, she slowly began to hug him back.

"I've missed you, Lizbeth," Teddy smiled happily at Lizbeth, who slowly pulled away from the hug.

She turned to glance at Wolsey and Bishop Morton, just before looking back at Teddy. "I have missed you too, cousin."

"Why have you come to see me?" Teddy asked, a confused look on his face, "Can I go home yet?"

Lizbeth opened her mouth to speak, only to be cut off by Bishop Morton. "We hoped you could help us with a question. We wondered what you and Prince George talked about. The plot against King Henry?" He asked the boy as he placed a blank piece of paper down on the table in front of him.

Teddy smiled, delighted by the question. "He said I could have a friendly dog. As many dogs as I wanted. A hundred!" He exclaimed happily as he turned to Lizbeth, who was beginning to tear up as she felt consumed with guilt.

"Teddy, can you write your name?" Wolsey asked Teddy, who wasted no time nodding his head, "I knew you could. Show me. Just there."

Teddy's eyes lit up as he rushed to stand next to Wolsey, who handed him a quill. The boy smiled, bending down to write his name on the bottom of the blank piece of paper.

"You are such a clever boy, dear Teddy," She told her cousin softly, beginning to softly cry at the sight.

That day, after the treason statement was written, Bishop Morton and Lizbeth traveled back to Westminster to give it to Henry. "The Earl of Warwick's confession to treason, Your Grace," He informed him in a calm tone while Lizbeth had tears threatening to spill from her eyes, "You may read here the details of his plot with the pretender to usurp the throne."

"Lock that away. Now," Lizbeth demanded, trying her hardest not to cry, "We never want to see it again. Ever."

____

   The following morning, George laid in bed awake, the sounds of bells filling his ears. He felt uneasy, having the feeling he knew what it meant.

The moment he heard approaching footsteps, however, he quickly sat up, a concerned look on his face.

The door soon opened and he stood up, coming face to face with Bishop Morton and Wolsey. "The Earl of Warwick?" He asked, gesturing toward Teddy, who was fast asleep.