28

ROYAL BLOOD
— 28. Madwoman

   In Burgundy, at the celebration, George sat next to Maggie while numerous others stood or sat nearby, listening to their conversation

"I am so pleased you could join us, cousin," George confessed, a large smile on his face at the sight of Maggie.

Maggie uneasily looked over at her husband before looking back over at George. "Umm..." She trailed off, chuckling nervously, "Perhaps you can recall our times together as children?"

George frowned, giving Maggie a weird look. She was trying to trick him, wasn't she?

"My apologies, but I'm afraid we haven't seen each other since I was six and you were three. Our mothers were not exactly friends due to what my mother did to your grandfather. And our fathers...well, while my mother was your father's close friend, my father and yours did not end on good terms before their untimely deaths. And by the time your mother became you and Teddy's guardian, I was put in the Tower with my brother Edmund for our safety," George explained thoroughly and Maggie was quite impressed, a part of her beginning to believe that George was, in fact, the real George.

"I meant..." Maggie trailed off and took a deep breath before continuing on, "We spent our childhood amongst the same people. Like Lizbeth, Thomas, and Arthur. We will have stories in common."

"Of course," George replied, a polite smile on his face.

Nora glanced between George and Maggie, letting out a sigh in defeat. "Maggie, my dear, tell us a story of the Prince," She encouraged the girl and while Maggie looked nervous, George chuckled since he saw what his mother was doing.

He had seen his mother play these type of games on many people.

When he was born, he already had four other siblings. His mother already had a lot on her plate and despite spending an equal amount of time with all her children, it was obvious that Arthur and Lizbeth spent the most time with their mother.

However, now, it was just them. He had his mother all to himself. Along with Lizzie, of course, who Nora treated like her actual daughter, but Lizzie was an adult now. She had been ever since George first arrived.

And since his arrival, Nora spent almost all of her time with him, not wanting to make the same mistakes that she did with his siblings, especially Lizbeth, whom she refused to speak of other than when she was mentioning Henry.

George watched, an amused look on his face, as Maggie turned to her husband for guidance. She had always been the more submissive one out of the York girls. He could see that now for himself.

"Uh..." She trailed off, forcing a smile on her face as she continued to converse with George, "I did hear of, um, once, you and your brother Thomas was caught stealing wine from a feast. You snuck it back to your room and on the way there, you were caught by..." She paused, waiting for George to finish instead as the court laughed at the mention, "Who was it again?"