38

ROYAL BLOOD
— 38. The Head and The Heart

 The Head and The Heart

1478

   It was just after George, Edward's brother's, death. Nora slowly walked into the room Edward had stormed off to after George's execution.

She walked in, finding Edward crying, which was something she had seen all of twice since she first met him. He had clearly gone there so that he would not be seen mourning his brother's death, especially since he had been to pass the sentence.

Nora slowly walked over to him and Edward lifted his head to look at her. If it had been anyone else entering that room, he would have shouted at them or even threw something at them for seeing him in such a weak state.

Nora wasn't just anyone, though. He trusted her more than anyone. She was practically a part of him.

"Edward," She called out softly, making her way over to him.

Edward slowly turned to look at her, tears welled in his eyes. "Oh, Edward," She whispered, immediately rushing to hug him.

Edward was sitting down when he hugged Nora, who was standing upright.

"I can't do this anymore," Edward whispered softly as Nora held him close to her chest, "It has cost me so much. My own brother included. God, what sane man would ever want to be king? I can't...I can't do this anymore, Nora."

"You can," Nora assured him in a whisper as Edward stared up at her with a hopeless look on his face, "I felt this same way once, Edward. It gets better. I swear it. You can do this. And you don't have to do it alone. I will stand by you, just as I always have. I promise. But you must stay strong."

"I can't stay strong," Edward confessed, a hopeless look on his face, "I'm beginning to think I never was strong."

"You are strong, Edward," Nora argued in a stern tone as she cupped his face in her hands and forced him to look her in the eye, "You are God's Anointed King. You are England's king and you are my king. You must stay strong, Edward. And I shall help you."

Nora leaned closer to Edward, continuing to hold his face in her hands. "I help you through this. I promise. We will get through this. Together," She explained and Edward nodded, just before they both hugged.

present

    It was the middle of the night and Lizbeth laid in bed, unable to sleep with the spot next to her vacant. Why wasn't Henry with her? He always slept in bed beside her at night. Always. Even if he was done with Kingly duties late, he always arrived sooner or later.

Now, it had been two days that Lizbeth had been forced to sleep alone in what felt like years.

Not being able to take it anymore, Lizbeth climbed out of bed and walked through the passageway. She made her way into Henry's room, only to frown when she saw that his bed was empty. Was he with her? Was he with Cathy Gordon?