12

ROYAL BLOOD
— 12. Plight

    Outside in the courtyard, Henry stood on his horse

    Outside in the courtyard, Henry stood on his horse. He glanced around, confused when he saw Nora nowhere in sight.

She was supposed to be coming so where was she?

He turned his head, watching as his mother walked over to him with a calm expression her face. "I thought you said we need a York with us to show we are united?" He questioned, a confused look on his face.

"And we have plenty of the ones who are now loyal to us," Margaret assured her son, referring to the De La Pools.

Henry ignored his mother and continued to glance around for Nora. "I told Lizbeth I would use this time to try to make amends with her mother," He informed Margaret, which was something she wasn't happy about.

"Henry," She called out, causing Henry to sigh as he turned to look at his mother, "It has been lonely all these years without you. I hope this trip will give us time to know each other again."

Henry smiled and simply nodded, just before walking away. His mother's smile faded, offended by him walking away like that.

He made his way onto his horse before climbing on. However, when he turned his head, he saw his uncle Jasper and his mother standing closely together as they spoke to each other in a hushed tone.

He began to think about what Lizbeth once said, about his mother having romantic feelings for Jasper Tudor while Jasper always had eyes for Nora.

_____

     In her room in the tower, Nora rushed to drag a chair over to the window. "Katherine. You must stand here," She insisted, and surprisingly, Katherine was quick to obey, "Watch for Ned. You know who he is, don't you?"

Katherine nodded and Nora sighed in relief. "Watch closely. You musn't miss him," She continued on and Katherine simply nodded.

Nora knelt behind Katherine, taking a deep breath. "Stand still," She demanded and Katherine did nothing as Nora ripped a part of her cloak off.

She didn't question her mother's actions because she knew whatever her mother was planning to do, it would ensure their escape. It would work. It had to.

____

     In her rooms, Lizbeth sat with Lizzie on her bed while Teddy and Maggie stood at the window, watching the Tudors leave the castle for the Royal Procession.

"Do you see my mother, Maggie?" Lizbeth asked, a curious look on her face.

"I think so," Maggie replied in a calm tone, "Or is that her?"

"Let's ride on the horses!" Teddy exclaimed happily as he began to jump around, "Lizbeth, can we ride on the horses?"

"No, dear Teddy. The horses are going elsewhere," She answered in a calm tone.