37

ROYAL BLOOD
— 37. Shamed

 Shamed

1466

In the throne room of Westminster, Edward sat upon the throne with most of his royal subjects in the large room as well.

"Make way for Lady Nora FitzRoy," The guards announced loudly and the double doors opened.

Nora entered, a content expression on her face as she slowly walked in the direction of Edward, ready to be ennobled once and for all as the Countess of Pembroke and Richmond. She didn't quite like the idea of having the titles taken away from Jasper and Henry.

She even argued with Edward about it, but she knew there was no way the argument would get anywhere. Edward made up his mind and in a way, giving her such titles and lands would protect her from foes seen and unseen.

She stopped when she was standing in front of Edward, who wore his crown. Richard and George stood to Edward's left, both of them smiling at Nora.

Lord Warwick, however, stood to Edward's right, looking anything but happy.

Nora frowned, looking ahead to see the throne beside Edward's was empty. Elizabeth had obviously refused to attend.

Edward smiled at Nora, who politely curtsied before her king before dropping to her knees. He turned to Lord Warwick, gesturing for him to read the scroll he held.

Lord Warwick rolled his eyes, an unhappy look on his face as he was forced to read it. "To all and singular, as well nobles and gentiles as others to whom these presents shall come, it is the King's pleasure, by this patent, to confer on the Lady Nora FitzRoy, in her own right, and on her offspring, the noble title of Countess of Pembroke and Richmond. And also by this patent, to grant her lands worth..." He trailed off, his eyes widening slightly at the amount as he looked over at Edward almost angrily before back at the scroll, "two-hundred-thousand pounds a year, for the maintaining of her dignity."

Nora's eyes widened at the amount of money, but remained silent.

Edward smiled, rising from his throne before walking toward the woman. He held his open hands out to her and slowly, Nora grabbed ahold of his hands. "Arise, Duchess," he called out in a calm tone.

After all, even if she was now Countess of Richmond and Pembroke, she was still Duchess of Bedford first.

Gradually, Nora rose to her feet and before she could react, Edward kissed her in front of everyone.

She tensed up, but immediately kissed back while the court whispered amongst themselves. He pulled away soon enough and Nora turned her head to see Lord Warwick glaring at her hatefully and furiously.

He sighed in frustration, making his way over to Nora. "Your Grace," he was forced to say as he bowed to the woman who was now equal to her in rank, if not more powerful.