26

ROYAL BLOOD
— 26. Shameless

SEVEN YEARS LATER

SEVEN YEARS LATER

In Burgundy, Nora sat outside at a table with Cecily, Margaret, and Lizzie, writing a letter to Lizzie's mother, Elizabeth.

George stood a few feet away from them, being fitted for his new outfit to show off his true York colors.

Little Marie, Mary of Burgundy's youngest daughter, sat on Margaret's lap. It had been two years since Mary's death, which left Maximilian deeply heartbroken. He was so caught up in his grief he was unable to take care of his two-year-old daughter, Marie, who was named after her mother. Sometimes, he couldn't even bear to look at her, given her who she was named after.

Margaret ended up taking the responsibility of taking care of the motherless girl while Maximilian returned to Austria for political reasons.

Nora smiled, glancing over at George before she looked back down at the letter she was writing.

Dear Elizabeth,

I write with news of our success, both here in Burgundy and all of Europe. After a bit of waiting, I've received word from the Doge of Venice, who will publicly declare his support for my son, Prince George.

All over Christendom, the people sing ballads of his return. Of a handsome York prince with golden hair and eyes as blue as the sea.

Our friends in Europe are many, thanks to the support we have from Maximilian and Edward's sister Margaret.

For seven years, people all over Europe have written to tell me of their love for George.

As each day passes, my son's cause grows stronger. I shall continue to write to you of news.

"Another letter for Dowager Queen Elizabeth?" Cecily asked mockingly, clearly having disdain toward Elizabeth, even after all these years.

"Who knew the two of you would be such good friends," Lizzie added in, she and her grandmother sharing an amused smirk.

"I almost forgot to invite my daughter and the king," Nora spoke up suddenly, holding out a folded letter toward one of her servants.

Margaret smiled in satisfaction while Cecily and Lizzie looked concerned by the sudden revelation.

Cecily frowned in concern, on the verge of taking the letter but the servant had already walked away with it.

Nora smiled in satisfaction when she saw the woman's reaction and stood up.

With that, she walked away and Cecily immediately turned to her daughter and her granddaughter. "That woman has no shame."

"She is her mother's daughter, as Father used to say," Lizzie admitted, despite never meeting the woman that was Nora's mother, "Of course she doesn't have shame, though. She learned to be that way long ago after spending years being called, 'The King's Whore'."