Chapter Two - A Death Sentence

It had been a few days before she had gotten ahold of herself again. The Seed family had begun to think she had given up. But John knew better; he remembered the way she talked to him. He remembered her stubbornness that matched his. He knew within a week she would be back to ruining their project. But frankly, he didn't mind. He loved the challenge she gave him. He loved having a specific rival; someone to battle. An equal opponent, if you will. It excited him.

Her days in Hope County began the same way. She would wake by nine, and within an hour, she would be assigned a new duty to fulfill. Whether they be important duties, such as taking back a specific location that had been taken over by the cult, or favors asked by random people on the side of the road. She was always the first person that anyone went to. She didn't mind being the hero, until it came down to 'hero' being her only title. Hero was nice, but 'friend,' and 'companion' were good, too.

John knew it, too. He knew who she considered friends in Hope County. He also knew to use those people against her. To tease her. Dutch Roosevelt, Pastor Jerome, Nick Rye, and Grace Armstrong. Though, he lothed the idea that she made friends with the strongest people in Hope County. But, again, he didn't mind. He liked the competition.

John spent most of his time planning on how to get her back in his grasp. He didn't want to keep sending his men out, because she would soon learn to outsmart them. John had faith in his men, and he knew they were tougher than a bag of nails. But he also knew they didn't have many tactics. Fire, and pray that she was hit. It wasn't a sure method of capturing the woman, so he needed a plan for himself. This was far out of his comfort zone. Though he assumed, for her, it would be worth it.

No one in the Seed family ever went out in public. At least not without protection from their soldiers. He wondered if just going out by himself wherever she was would convince her enough. Maybe even help her realize that he didn't want to hurt her. Without having a miniature army surrounding him, and him being unarmed, it would surely help her see it. The idea that it would be too dangerous crossed his mind, but only for a few seconds. He wasn't afraid of dying. And if he were, he knew that no one in the resistance would be dumb enough to hold a gun to his head.

And so he decided. He would send someone out to track her movements and to record her location every ten minutes. He made a specific point to tell him that if he was caught by her, to not retaliate. Him nor Joseph wanted her dead. The soldier reluctantly agreed to John's orders, and started off on his journy.

John sat in his office, stared out the window, and smirked at himself. His hands rested behind his head as he leaned back in his chair. The deputy would be sitting here, in his office, within a matter of two days. He wondered if he should prepare for her presence by straightening the place up. But ultimately, he decided against it. It was only the hero of Hope County. No one to impress.

Meanwhile, the deputy had just gotten around for her day when the radio started buzzing. She tuned it to a better frequency and listened close. It was Dutch. He greeted her with his commonly used "hey kid."

"Hey, Dutch," she greeted. "What's today's agenda look like?" She strapped on her backpack with everything she needed in it.

"Well," he began, sounding a bit nervous, "you may not like this today."

She sighed. "What?"

"Y'know John Seed's ranch, right? His beloved home?"

"Please, don't tell me what I think you're going to. That place is guarded to the bone."

"That's exactly what I'm telling you, dep. I've gotten plenty of calls from around the county and people are not happy. That place could home a lot of people, kid. It's important that we get that place for us."

Out of every task that she had been assigned, this one was the scariest. The very same place that John Seed slept at night. The very same place that John Seed spent his life.

"Okay, I guess. But I'm not doing it alone. It's a death sentence."

"Of course," he said. "Dutch out."

She sighed and tucked the radio into her back pocket. She sighed again when she realized what she had agreed to. This wouldn't be a bad idea if she had an army with her. But with only a partner, this was the first time she felt genuine fear about a task she had been assigned.

Last semester I took a pop culture class, and our final was to take a piece of pop culture and argue why it should be considered accepted literature in society.

You can bet your ass I studied Far Cry 5.

And you can bet your ass I got an A.