Chapter Fifteen - Soldier

"If you leave this room, the next time I find you, you're dead. Do you understand me?" Jacob declared as he brought her to a nice-sized room.

She nodded.

"Excuse me?" He stood taller to intimidate her.

"Sorry... I understand."

"Good. I'll be back in the morning. Get some rest, you have a long day tomorrow."

Before he could leave the room, she stopped him.

"Jacob?" Her tone wasn't sarcastic like it had been. It was her normal speaking voice. He stopped and turned back to face her. "You get rest, too. You're kind of a dick when you're tired."

She couldn't be totally nice to the guy, even if she knew how he was feeling deep down. He was tired. Exhausted from his work. She could tell that he felt like he was doing nothing. Because often times, she felt the same way. Like what she did was getting her nowhere.

She lied on the comfortable bed and gazed out the window. Before falling asleep, her last thoughts were: 'maybe we aren't as different as I thought.' John had, unfortunately, caused her to look for feelings, even in the enemies.

Jacob had went to his bedroom instantly. The whole way there, he wondered how fucking crazy the deputy actually was. No one had ever stood up to him before.

That's the whole reason he brought her with him. He wanted her to be just like him, not a product of his. And he would accomplish that by keeping her by his side all day, every day. To adapt to everything he does.

The entire night, he thought about her words. "You get rest, too." Of course she had the sarcastic line, but he couldn't help but notice how serious she sounded at first. No one had told Jacob something caring like that.

But it wouldn't happen again. It's not like Jacob to be soft. So she won't be soft, either.

***

The next day she woke to Jacob yelling at her.

"What the fuck are you still doing asleep? There is work to be done, little girl!" He exited the room and slammed her door.

She rolled over to her stomach and opened her eyes slowly. Jacob had opened her blinds before she woke up. Which begged the question, what else had he done before he woke her up?

Quickly, she got up and got around. She didn't have a change of clothes, so that cut the time down a bit. Afterwords she walked out to find Jacob.

"In here, soldier," he called out with a more normal tone.

She was shocked at the change of names. Soldier sounded more as a compliment, though, so she didn't complain.

She followed his voice into a room. It was his bedroom that doubled as his office. There was a large bed, and a desk in the corner. She wondered why he didn't just turn the bedroom she slept in into an office.

"What do I have to do?" she asked as she reached him.

"Right now? Sit." He pointed to a chair behind him.

"Such important things, hm?" she questioned.

He snickered and spun around in his chair to face her. "Don't test me. You'll do something when I tell you to."

She sat down in the chair he referred to. She stared at his back. His room was, surprisingly, nice. The walls were logs, as he lived in a cabin. His bedsheets were a dark grey, and he had only two pillows.

He had pictures on his walls, but not of family or friends. Pictures of wolves, his hunting records, and other brutal pictures. Those were more Jacob's style.

"Jacob, am I just going to sit here all day?"

"Nope."

She sighed. If only he was as easy going as John was, she thought.

And then she really thought. Maybe he was as easy going as John....