Chapter Twenty Four - Brotherly Help

Rae woke up in a warm grasp. Upon opening her eyes, she was met with Jacob's chest. He held her close as he slept. She closed her eyes again, not to go back to sleep, but just to keep the sensation. Her arms curled up near her chest as she felt Jacob's breath on the top of her head.

She kissed his chest lightly before trying to roll out of his grasp. However, he pulled her close again. As if he was afraid of letting her go. So she layed there, in a death grip, before he opened his eyes.

"Hi," she whispered.

He responded by planting a gentle kiss on her forehead.

"Oh, come on, you're not turning soft on me, are you?" she asked, mocking him from the day before.

He laughed. "Only for you, soldier."

He kissed her head one last time before sitting up. She copied his actions and sat up also, but faced his bare back. Her brown hair fell over the side of her face, as she waited for him to get up. Once he did, he smiled.

"Only you," he repeated. He leaned closer to Rae and brushed her hair out of her face. He kissed her lips quickly before returning to getting dressed.

She enjoyed wearing Jacob's clothing. It was much more freeing than her own. Without his permission, she went to his closet and began looking for a shirt.

Jacob had invited her to come to work with him, but she had to decline. She reminded him that, even with her newfound feelings, she still wasn't a helper of the Project. Jacob understood, as much as he wanted her company.

After only a few hours of being alone, she had started to think about those feelings. She questioned herself. Did she really have feelings for Jacob? Or did she just like the feeling of having Jacob?

Regardless of how she felt about him, she still didn't want any committment. Even if she started to fall for Jacob, she couldn't bring herself to make something out of it.

It would be wrong to make Jacob think she wanted something. But she isn't necessarily lying when she tells Jacob she likes him.

It was now up to her to decide what to do with her feelings.

***

Joseph was mad at his older brother. Though Jacob had rebelled against him and the Project before. Jacob often believed that just because he was born first meant he could do whatever he wanted.

He was still losing sleep over the deputy. It was his task, given to him by God, to get her to atone for her sins. And he was failing. Countless nights he asked God for forgiveness. Every night He granted it, but he still feared that God would some day not.

Joseph called his brother. In attempt to get her to atone. He realized that he couldn't do everything on his own. With John and Jacob giving up on him, it was more difficult than neccessary.

"John, please. You know how rarely I beg for your help, but this is one of those cases. I need you."

"What's in it for me?" John questioned.

Joseph only laughed. "Eden's Gate to be opened for you, John."