Chapter Seven - John's Confession

It had only been two weeks after the incident with John that she had finally started getting back to herself. She started talking with everyone again, treating her friends like friends again. Though, one in particular hadn't stopped acting different. Grace. She still refused to speak to Rae as a friend. Whenever she needed assistance on a mission, she'd help, but she kept her distance. Whenever Rae confronted her about it, she just shrugged it off. She figured that she knew what had happened. But it was weird that she hadn't told anyone.

Until one day, where Rae needed a place to stay. With the repercussions of her not taking over the Seed Ranch, Fall's End was becoming overpopulated. Many families living in one small home. Which is why she made the decision to sacrifice her own home for a new young couple. Everyone insisted that she stay there, because with all that she had done for Hope County, she deserved a warm bed at night. But she couldn't accept. She knew that the failure of John's Ranch was her fault, and she shouldn't be praised for failure.

The first person she thought of was Grace. But when she asked her, everything fell into place.

"I'm just shit out of luck here, Grace. I'll only be here for a couple nights, and then I promise I'll find a new place."

"You know, a few weeks ago I may have said yes." Grace srood strong with her arms crossed. This was once the person that Grace had considered her best friend. It hurt her not to say yes instantly.

"Why? Why have you been shutting me out? You have been acting so different."

"You want me to tell you why, deputy? If I should even call you that anymore?"

And that's when she knew. That's when she knew Geace knew what had happened that night.

"Grace, I'm sorry, okay? I couldn't-"

"You couldn't what? Resist yourself? You were sent there to kill him, and you did the opposite. I'm not stupid. Next time, maybe you should check if the windows are closed."

Rae cursed at herself for being so goddamn loud. And she cursed John even more for being so goddamn good.

For two weeks, she hadn't been reminded of it. Even John had left her alone for a while. But now, all of her feelings came back, and she wanted to curl back into a ball and cry. Her eyes only teared up, though, as she turned and walked away. Grace stared as she watched. Before she went back into her house, she yelled, "why don't you just go back to his house?"

She hadn't thought about it before Grace said anything. But she hated the idea that she actually contemplated it. She wondered if John would say yes to her if she came to his house at three in the morning. She only shook her head and kept walking down the street for her next idea on where to stay.

***

"John, I'm not mad at you. You know I'll never be mad at you. I'm disappointed that you would do something to that nature again. All just to hear a confession."

John's head hung low, and his eyes fixated on the ground. He was more disappointed in himself after hearing what Joseph had said to him.

"I'm- I'm sorry." John turned insecure when it came to his older brother. The only person he would admittedly say he was fearful of. Jacob was intimidating, but he would never dream of hurting John. Joseph wouldn't hurt him either, but he's the one who could prevent him from getting where he needed to be.

"Don't tell me. Tell God."

John raised his head and looked into the Father's eyes. The Father pressed his forehead to John's, and began to talk quieter. "He will grant you forgiveness, I know he will. I will forgive you for anything you do. But I can't tell you that I will be proud."

"Yes, Joseph."

Joseph pulled their heads apart and began to walk away. John stayed standing with his head hanging. However, just before Joseph returned back to his people, he said to his younger brother, in a joking tone, "when I say to love them, John, I don't mean like that."

I couldn't help the meme...