Chapter Nine - Relax, Deputy

John had woken the next morning by his radio going off. He muttered curse words to himself before listening. One of the voices said "John, sir, come down immediately."

He assumed they just had a new death total for this week, and that it was higher than normal. John, again, cursed at his men for interrupting his much needed sleep.

He threw on a shirt that was in his dresser, he didn't care how he looked. In fact, he intended on going back to sleep after he heard the news they had to share.

John quickly ran down the staircase and walked out the front door. To his surprise, there stood the deputy. Her arms were being held tightly by two of his soldiers. She hadn't been squirming for them to let her go.

"My, deputy? To what do I owe the pleasure this time?" he internally winked at the woman, who only rolled her eyes at him.

"Ask your two idiots, here. They're the ones that lugged me here."

If they had John's permission, one of them would have nailed her in the jaw with an elbow. But John never gave them the okay.

"Only because we caught you sleeping in the forest. Just south of here."

She didn't want anyone to know where she had gone. Especially not John Seed, who would only use it as an opportunity to make fun of her. The humiliation she didn't care about. It was the annoyance in his voice that made her want to strangle him.

"Let her go. Come inside, deputy," John insisted.

The men seemed to hesitate for a second, but eventually dropped the woman. She rubbed her arms where they grasped them. She hesitated entering his house. But when she was nudged on the back with a handgun, it made the decision for her.

As she entered his house for the second time, he reappeared from his bedroom. This time he had actual clothes on. Rae wanted to laugh at his appearance; she never would have expected to see the man in sweatpants and a T-shirt. The most surprising thing was his hair, the second part of his body he was most proud and protective of. It hadn't been done yet, so it hung over his forehead slightly. It was something she couldn't take her eyes off of. Until he spoke.

"What was someone like you sleeping in the forest?" John asked, coming closer to the deputy. She didn't back away from him.

She didn't want to hide it from him. "Someone knows about our secret, John."

"Someone- what?" He wasn't expecting that kind of an answer.

"Yeah. Someone knows we fucked. And isn't taking it well, as expected."

John sighed, and ran a hand from his forehead to the tip of his beard. She stood tall with her arms crossed as she stared at the man. In any other circumstance, she would be thinking about how irresistible he was, thanks to their past. But she just wanted to kill him.

"What are you going to do?" he asked, genuinely concerned about her reputation; even if it was to kill his family.

"Beats me," she shrugged. Without asking, or thinking, she found a spot on John's couch in front of the fireplace. After sleeping in a truck, feeling the couch was amazing on her body.

John, unsure of what to do, sat next to her. He contemplated putting a hand on her back for comfort.

"If I want to regain their trust, I have to kill you. I have to fucking rip your heart out and display it for the world. But goddammit, John, I can't do it." She sat up and turned to face him. She curled one leg under her.

She halfway expected a joke to come out of John's mouth, but was happy when he stayed silent.

Progressively, she got more angry. Angry at John. Angry at herself. Angry at God. "I can't do what I have to do because you decided you needed some action. And I was the one you did it with. Do you not have booty-calls lined up for you? Do you not understand that women everywhere lust over you, John? Yet you had to make things difficult and fuck me inst-"

Her sentence was interrupted by John placing his lips on her's. Not in an eager way, not in a way that said he wanted more. Just a way to get her to calm down. She surprised herself when she kissed him back. Her hand almost went up to his cheek, but she stopped herself from showing any other emotion for the man.

Just as John pulled away, he spoke softly to her. He brought a hand to the back of her head, scratching it ever so lightly. "You just need to relax, deputy. Your life isn't over. You can still do what needs to be done for you to gain acceptance and keep your friendships."

"Are you hinting at me to kill you, John?" she asked quietly.

"No," he laughed. He moved his hand to cup her cheek and grazed his thumb in circles. She leaned into his hand, but instantly picked herself back up. "I'm saying you just need to forget everyone who does you wrong. Though, that's the opposite of what I should be telling you. So what, you had sex with the 'evil baptist' of Holland Valley? They aren't perfect either, they have messed up in their life."

She was shocked at the words he had said to her. They were actually intelligent, and not some made up story to get what he wanted from her. She found herself smiling at John, as much as she hated it.