Chapter 1: The Job

"Wanna go on a job? Just you, me, and Happy?" Natsu asked as he approached his blonde teammate.

"Ummm...maybe..." Lucy muttered. "I'm tired."

"Come on, it's really cool! All we have to do is kill a monster for 2 million jewel!" He tossed her the paper.

She scanned it. "You didn't read this fully. 'Please come slay this fire-breathing monster who keeps terrorizing our town. Be warned he is extremely powerful and deadly. He's already killed multiple wizards. Reward is 2 million jewel?!'" 

"Wow, that's a lot of money!" Happy said. "Think of how much fish I could buy!"

That's enough money for like 6 months of rent. Lucy stood up. "Fine, I'll go."

"Yay!" Natsu and Happy cheered. 

Lucy had the job request stamped by Mirajane. "Have fun you guys!" Mirajane smiled as they walked away.

"Thanks." Lucy replied as she waved goodbye. "Come on, Natsu. We gotta go pack."

"Can we walk to the job? I don't wanna take the train..." Natsu groaned.

"You want to walk?! That'll take us a week!" Lucy rolled her eyes. 

"Ugh, whatever." Natsu looked away in annoyance. He then turned and glared at her. "Just go home and pack. We'll meet you at the train station in an hour."

"Geez, you're so bossy." Lucy grumbled as she walked towards her apartment.

"What'd you call me?" He demanded angrily.

"I said you're BOSSY!" She stuck out her tongue. 

He suddenly picked her up by the front of her shirt. "Don't ever call me that again!" Her eyes widened as he dropped her and stormed off.

"Ooh, now you're mad at each other!" Happy made a face.

"Whatever..." Natsu scoffed as he and Happy went to their house.

-Lucy's House-

Ugh, he's been so annoying lately! He's so irritating and stubborn! It's making me mad. I don't get it. One minute he's normal and the next he's being strange. Nothing's changed, so why's he acting so weird? Maybe I should talk to him...

Lucy threw some clothes and books into her suitcase. She sighed and went to her desk. She pulled out a piece of paper and started to write to her mother.

Dear Mom,

I know I haven't written in a while, but your anniversary is coming up and I'm feeling glummer than usual. It's been so long since you were here. I miss you. And Dad. Life's pretty boring here in Magnolia. I'm about to go on a job to kill a rampaging monster. Don't worry, I'll be careful. I'm worried about Natsu. He is acting weird, but I don't know why. He's getting so angry and rude. I just hope he's okay. Everyone else is about the same. I wish you guys were here....

I miss you,

Lucy

She folded it and placed it in a box. She grabbed her suitcase and headed towards the train station, where Natsu and Happy were waiting.

"About time you showed up!" Natsu grumbled.

"It hasn't even been an hour! I'm here early you idiot!" She groaned and shook her head. 

"Hmph." Natsu turned away and stalked towards the train.

"Natsu, do you just want me to leave?!" Lucy yelled.

He sighed and turned around. "No, I'm sorry. I haven't been myself lately. I know I'm taking it out on you and I'm sorry. I just wanted to go on a job and have everything be normal." 

She frowned and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I'm sorry, I didn't know. Why haven't you been yourself?"

"I really don't know. It's like one second I'm Natsu and the next I'm a totally different person! I get angrier and want to hurt others. I just don't get it."

"That's weird." She gave him a crooked smile. "Just don't hurt me, 'kay?"

"Don't worry, Luce, I'd never hurt you." 

"Let's go." She patted his head and walked onto the train. Natsu started trembling as soon as they were on it.

"Oh no...." Natsu vomitted as motion sickness overtook him.