Chapter 6: The Funeral

"We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of one of our own." Makarov said sadly. "Natsu Dragneel was a beloved member of the Fairy Tail guild. He was kind, reckless, and brave."

"This doesn't feel right." Wendy whispered to Lucy.

"I know," Lucy whispered back tearfully. She stared at the casket and trembled.

"Shhh..." Erza muttered.

"All of us were greatly impacted by his passing, especially his own team: Gray, Erza, Wendy, Happy, Carla, and Lucy. It is horrible that someone so young had to die, but he died a hero. He saved Lucy's life."

Everyone stared at Lucy. This was new information for most of them. She lowered her head as she noticed some people glaring at her. Gray shook his fist at her. Great, now everyone else hates me. She thought sadly.

"Would anyone like to say a few words?" Makarov asked.

Lucy raised her hand. "Natsu died saving me. He was impaled by the monster we were fighting. Happy and I tried to get him help, but it was too late. His wounds were...too severe." Her voice caught. "I can't believe he is gone. Natsu was my best friend and I cared about him more than anything. I didn't want him to die!" She started crying. "I wish he was still here, I miss him so much!" She started shaking as she sobbed uncontrollably. She stepped back and murmurs ran through the crowd.

"I wanna say something." Gray said angrily he stepped forward. "It's Lucy's fault that Natsu died!"

Gasps rang throughout the crowd. Erza and Wendy clenched Lucy's hands.

"Gray!" Wendy whispered nervously.

"Lucy killed Natsu! If she hadn't been there, he would still be alive! He died saving her! She should be dead instead!" He spat, ignoring Wendy's plea. 

"Stop it! It's not Lucy's fault! Natsu knew what was at stake. Gray, your best friend has died and this is what you do?! What the hell is wrong with you?" Erza demanded angrily as tears ran down her face.

Gray looked shocked at seeing Erza cry. "E-Erza..."

"Natsu was your friend! You grew up together, laughed together, and fought together. Hell, you were on the same team! Regardless of what you showed, you cared about him! How do you think he would feel if he saw you right now?! You should be ashamed of yourself!" Erza yelled.

"I should be ashamed of myself?! Lucy should be ashamed! She let him die!" Gray argued.

"NO I DIDN'T!" Lucy screeched tearfully. "Gray! I loved Natsu! I would never let him die! I swear on my damn life, I didn't let him die!"

"Stop it!" Makarov demanded forcefully. "Natsu has passed on. You are tainting his memory with your foolishness! This is over." He stormed away to the guild hall. Everyone slowly followed, except for the few people who would lower his casket in the ground.

Mirajane squeezed Lucy's hand as she passed. "It's not your fault." 

"It is her fault!" Gray growled.

Mirajane shook him. "Gray. I know you're having a hard time dealing with Natsu's death, but you need to stop. You've abused Lucy physically and emotionally and you're blaming her for his death! She's your friend, too! She cared about Natsu too! Do you honestly think she would let him die?!"

"I'm sorry..." Gray's face broke as he ran towards the guild hall.

Juvia followed him. "Gray!"

"Natsu, you were like my big brother. You were always there for me, and would always help me with my dragon slaying. You made everyone in the guild happy. Thank you for being my big brother. I love you, Natsu." Wendy choked out as she kneeled in front of his grave.