Chapter 37: The E.N.D.

"Where is he?" Jellal mumbled as they ran across the town.

"There!" Wendy shouted as she pointed to a large stain of red on the ground.

"Is that...blood?" Lucy gulped.

"That has to be that Larcade guy." Erza mused as she saw the dead man facedown in the pool of blood.

"How could he kill his own teammate?!" Gray hissed in rage.

"Be on your guard." Jellal warned as they landed. "Zeref is probably nearby."

"I thought you might show up." Zeref smiled as he appeared in front of them. A dark aura surrounded him.

"His magic power..." Carla's hands shook in fear.

"It's incredible. My legs won't stop shaking." Happy said, terrified.

Erza trembled in Zeref's presence. "Turn Natsu back."

"Getting straight to the point are we?" He sighed. "I'm quite impressed you were able to take down all of the 12."

"You're gonna pay." Gray shook with rage. "You killed my friends!"

"And you killed much more of mine in exchange. I think it's time to even the odds." He stood in the Law stance. 

"NO! Wait! You'll kill us!" Lucy yelled. "I can kill you. If you'll turn Natsu back, I'll kill you. My Star Dress let's me have some of Natsu's magic, so I can use it to end your life."

He frowned. "If he's turned back to human, you won't be able to use your Star Dress. It doesn't work. Besides, you're too weak! Death Orb!"

She jumped out of the way, panting heavily. "Then we'll do it at the same time! Please, let's at least try."

"Foolish child, it's not gonna be that simple." Carla scolded. 

"Listen to the cat. She's right. Besides, I'd rather watch you all die than help Natsu. Law." Zeref cast. The bright light emerged from his hands.

"No!" Happy yelled as tears streamed down his face.

"He's gonna kill us!" Gray shouted. "We're too weak to survive that!"

"I don't wanna die!" Wendy whimpered to herself.

 "LEND ME YOUR POWER!" Lucy yelled. "Join hands! NOW!"

"What are you going to do?" Erza asked worriedly as she grabbed Wendy and Gray's hands.

"FAIRY SPHERE! ACTIVATE!" Lucy commanded. The others watched in awe as the glowing sphere surrounded them. It protected them from Zeref, but only for a bit. She collapsed on the ground, exhausted. "I'm sorry, you guys. I failed."

"No you didn't. You saved us. We would've died if you hadn't done that." Jellal said reassuringly.

Lucy's eyes filled with tears. "Oh no, I didn't protect the guild..."

"I'm sure they're ok. They're probably just heavily damaged." Erza laid a hand on her shoulder.

"Some might be dead." Carla muttered.

"How did you do that?!" Gray asked Lucy in amazement.

"Master Mavis wrote the spell down and then helped me learn it." Lucy explained. "I'm glad it came in handy."

"ZEREF!" Natsu roared as he emerged from the spirit world.

"No, Natsu!" Lucy shrieked. 

"YOU KILLED THEM! YOU'RE GONNA PAY!" He leaped at Zeref, blasting him with his magic.