Chapter 5: The Details

-Hours Later-

"The monster was coming closer, so I tried to carry Natsu. He told me to leave him because two lives are more important than one." Lucy sniffled as she replayed the scene for them. The conversation was taking an emotional toll on her. "But I refused to leave him behind. So I carried him and ran. But then monster swung at me and threw us through the air. I didn't let him go. Happy caught us and flew us to the village."

"When we landed, he wasn't responding at first." Happy said.

"Yeah, so we got really worried, but then he started talking. He apologized and then...he died." Lucy's lip trembled.

"That's so horrible!" Wendy cried. 

"Yes, but he died nobly." Erza said gravely. "He saved you."

"I feel so horrible about it!" Lucy sobbed. "It's my fault he's gone!"

"Shhh, no it's not." Erza comforted her. 

"He just wanted to help you." Carla said.

"I feel like everyone's gonna hate me!" Lucy whimpered.

"Lucy, no one hates you." Wendy reassured.

"Gray does. He yelled at me, told me I should've died instead, and kicked me."

"WHAT?!" They all yelled.

Erza growled. "There's no reason to ever harm one of your teammates!"

"That's unacceptable!" Carla shook her head sternly.

"I get it, though." Lucy said quietly. "He's grieving."

"He still shouldn't harm you." Erza crossed her arms angrily. "I'm gonna have a talk with him..."

Lucy laid a hand on her shoulder. "Please, Erza. Don't." 

Erza sighed. "Fine, I won't if it means that much to you."

"Thank you, Erza." Lucy looked out the window and wiped her eyes. "I don't know how I'm going to live without Natsu. He was the reason I joined Fairy Tail. And now we can't ever go on any more adventures."

"Are we even a team without him?" Wendy asked.

"We will always be a team." Erza said uncomfortably. "But we're no longer Natsu's team."

"It just feels..." Lucy searched for the right word. "Wrong."

They nodded. Wendy sighed and looked out the window to see a setting sun. "My goodness, we've been talking most of the day!"

Erza jumped up. "We should get ready for the funeral."

Nausea rose in Lucy's throat. "It's today?"

Erza nodded. "Do you need help getting ready?"

"I-I can manage. Thanks." She hugged both of her friends.

"We'll see you soon." Wendy gave her a small wave as she, Carla, Happy, and Erza left.

Lucy slammed the door closed as soon as they were out of sight. She immediately ran to the bathroom and threw up. She panted as she collapsed onto the cool floor, emotions tugging at her heart. "I...can't...I'm not ready!"

"Lucy..." 

She jumped up as she heard a voice."Is that Natsu?" 

"Don't...worry..." 

Lucy ran around her apartment trying to find him. "Natsu?! Natsu!" She sat on the floor, smacking herself on the head. I'm so stupid. He's dead, Lucy! It's just your imagination. She sighed as she furiously wiped tears from her eyes. "Gotta get a dress." She picked out a long sleeved black dress to wear. She looked at herself in the mirror after she got dressed. "Oh my God. I'm a mess!" Her face was still burnt and bruised, her hair looked like a bird's nest, and her eyes looked dead. She put on some makeup to hide her injuries and brushed her hair. She put on some black heels and looked in the mirror a final time. 

"You can do this, Lucy." She took a deep breath as she opened her door.