Chapter 10: The Mistake

-The Next Morning-

"Good morning, guys." Lucy yawned as she got up.

"Morning." The other two grumbled.

"What? Didn't sleep good?" She teased.

"Yeah, cause someone was having nightmares." Happy muttered.

"It wasn't me." Gray said defensively. They both turned to Lucy.

She frowned. "Oh, sorry. I don't even remember having them."

"Is it still Natsu's death?" Gray asked.

She nodded. "I don't think I'll ever completely get over it." He patted her head understandingly.

"Gray, we should show her the note now!" Happy whisper-yelled.

"What note?" Lucy's brow furrowed.

"Uh," Gray scratched his head nervously. "Happy and I checked on Natsu's grave last night, and uh, found a note."

Happy face palmed. "Natsu left it for us."

Gray handed Lucy the note. She examined it suspiciously. "'Don't open my gate. I'm losing control.' You sure this just isn't some sick joke?"

Gray shrugged. "It looks like Natsu's chicken scratch. But we wanted to see what you thought."

"Let's summon him!" She yelled as she pumped her fist.

Happy and Gray sweat dropped. "Eh?!"

"I mean, it's the only way to find out." Lucy said.

"Uh, are you sure?" Gray asked. "Last time, he almost killed us!"

"We have to try." Happy butted in.

"Fine, but if he starts attacking, I'm not gonna hold back." Gray frowned as he cracked his knuckles.

"Yeah, yeah, I hear you." Lucy sighed. "Open, Gate of E.N.D.!"

"Lucy! Didn't I tell you not to open my gate?!" Natsu shouted angrily as he appeared. Lucy tried to hug him, but he shoved her away.

She frowned. "What was that all about?"

He sighed. "I'm sorry. But I told you guys not to open my gate! It's too dangerous."

"Chill, you can go back now. We just wanted to see if you were the one behind the note." Gray rolled his eyes.

"Of course I was behind it!" Natsu yelled in frustration.

"Same hot-headed Natsu." Happy smirked.

"Aw, shut up, Happy!"

"Okay, well if that's it, then bye." Lucy started to close his gate. 

"Wait, Lucy, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to reject your hug!"

She scoffed. "I'm not upset about that! I was just gonna send you back before you became a demon."

"Oh...well...can I get a hug first?" He scratched his head.

"Yeah." Lucy wrapped her arms around his neck. He wrapped his arms around her waist. Gray gagged noticeably. Suddenly, Natsu's grip tightened.

"Lucy, close my gate." Natsu said lowly.

"It's not working!" Lucy cried as she tried.

"Oh no..." Natsu yelled as he transformed into E.N.D.

"Natsu! Let go of me!" Lucy frantically tried to escape his hug, but his arms wouldn't budge.

"Sorry, Luce." Natsu's low sarcastic voice whispered into her ear as he produced a large knife from his pocket.

"Wait! Natsu, don't!" Gray shouted as he ran over to them. "Ice-Make: Lance!"

Lucy suddenly gasped as the knife ripped through her stomach. She crumpled in Natsu's tight grip. "Natsu?"

"Lucy!" Gray shouted as he attacked Natsu. Natsu frowned as released Lucy and fought back.

"Natsu, stop!" Happy cried.

"Close...Gate of E.N.D." Lucy choked out as blood poured out of her mouth. She clenched her eyes shut. "CLOSE DAMN IT!" Natsu was still there. He was too strong for her in her current state. Stars danced in front of Lucy's eyes. 

Gray cried out in pain as Natsu sliced his arm. He gritted his teeth as he weighed his options. "I have to do this." He muttered. "I'm sorry everyone, especially Juvia." He focused on Natsu. "Now, Iced Shell!" Natsu howled as he tried to stop Gray.

"NO!" The door slammed open as Erza jumped forward and stabbed Natsu in the stomach. Everyone gasped as Natsu's eyes widened and he collapsed on the ground. Erza turned to Lucy, her eyes wild and tear-filled. "Do it Lucy!"

"Close, Gate of E.N.D." Lucy said softly. Gray stopped his spell.

"What did you do?!" Erza yelled furiously. Happy scurried behind Lucy.

"Uh, we found a note at Natsu's grave, and..." Gray started.

"We wanted to see if he really wrote it, so we summoned him." Lucy finished sheepishly.

"You need help!" Wendy ran to Lucy and started healing her.

She sighed in relief. "Thanks."

Erza was bubbling over with rage. "Why would you not wait for us?! You could've gotten yourselves killed!"

"We're sorry." The trio bowed their heads.

Wendy laid her hand on Erza's shoulder. "The important thing is, no one got hurt."

"Except for Lucy." Carla said grimly. "And Natsu, I guess."

"I'm fine!" Lucy insisted. "It's not that bad."

"Still, you should take it easy for a while." Wendy said sternly. "You never really recovered from the damage that monster did to you, and you've been over exerting your magic power. You need to rest."

"There's too much to do." Lucy grumbled.

"I agree." Gray said. "After this is over, we can all rest."

"Tell them what the old guy told you!" Happy piped up.

"Oh, yeah. So I asked Grandpa Crux if there is a way to turn celestial spirits human." Lucy said.

"And?" Carla crossed her arms.

She sighed. "We have to go find Zeref. He's the only one who can use the spell."

"Let's get going then." Erza commanded. "And no more opening Natsu's gate. I will not allow another one of my comrades to die."

"Go where?" Happy asked.

"Alakitasia." She said matter-of-fact.

"What exactly is your plan?" Gray demanded.

"We're going to find Zeref." She stated obviously.

"That's quite risky, are you sure?" Carla questioned, unconvinced.

"Well, we all want Natsu back. And the only way to get him back is through Zeref."

"But what if he kills all of us?" Wendy's eyes widened. "Then it would've been all for nothing!"

"Look, I know it's risky. So I understand if you don't want to participate in this mission." Erza sighed.

"I'm scared." Lucy admitted. "But if there's even a chance we can get Natsu back, I'm taking it."

"Aye!" Happy chimed in. The rest of the group voiced their agreement.

A relieved smile spread across Erza's face. "I'm glad to hear it. Let's go save Natsu."