Chapter 21: Meeting Jellal

Wendy munched on some cotton candy while they walked through the park. "You know, you don't have to actually buy me stuff. I'm not your actual daughter."

Erza nodded. "I know, but I like to. It's part of my character! She's a rich, successful mother who spoils her little girl!"

Wendy sweat dropped. "You know we're not in a play, right?"

Erza sighed in exasperation. "Yes, I do." She ate some of Wendy's cotton candy. "So what do you suppose Jellal has to tell us?" 

Wendy shrugged. "Hopefully something good. I don't really want anymore bad news."

Erza nodded. "I understand." She suddenly pointed to the cherry tree. "There it is!"

"Where's Jellal?" Wendy asked as they approached.

"I don't see anyone with a red tattoo on their eye." Erza frowned.

"Hello, ladies." A man with slicked back blue hair and a nice outfit approached them.

"Hello." They responded.

"Jellal?" Erza questioned.

"It smells like him." Wendy said.

"Where's your tattoo?" Erza demanded.

"Uh, I used makeup to cover it up. I figured it was too obvious." He scratched his head.

"I see." Erza said while Wendy giggled. "So what's the news?"

"Excuse me, ma'am." A man with a camera walked up to them. "Would you like a family picture in front of the cherry blossom?"

"Family picture?" Jellal and Wendy asked in disbelief.

"You know what? Why not!" Erza grabbed the other two and stood in front of the tree. She moved Jellal to her right and put Wendy in front of them. Wendy clasped her hands in front of her and plastered on a huge smile. Erza and Jellal each put their outside hand on Wendy's shoulders. 

"Why don't you two hold hands?" The man suggested as their inner arms hung awkwardly.

"O-Oh, sure." Jellal grabbed Erza's hand tightly.

"1,2,3! Smile!" The man said enthusiastically. He studied the photo with approval and handed it over. Erza grabbed some money. He shook his head. "You can have it for free. By the way, you guys are a beautiful family. Your daughter looks so much like you both, especially with the purple hair. It's like both your hair colors got mixed together and poured onto your daughter." He chuckled as he left.

"That was weird..." Wendy examined her hair with a frown. "My hair isn't purple..."

"Um, you can let go of my hand now..." Erza said awkwardly.

Jellal dropped her hand, flustered. "R-Right! Sorry!" They stood there in silence.

"Uh, so what was the news?" Erza asked.

"Oh, um, Carla safely escaped." Jellal mumbled.

"Uh, we already knew that." Wendy said. "You told Happy, remember?"

His face turned red in embarrassment. "Oh, yeah..."

"Wait, so there's no new news?" Erza asked.

He shook his head. "I'm sorry."

"Then why'd we even come?" Wendy muttered.

"Well, um, I kind of wanted to see Erza." Jellal looked away.

Erza looked at him in surprise. "Me? Why?"

"We haven't seen each other in a while, and I wanted to catch up."