Chapter 26: Back in the Empire

-A Little While Later-

"Yay! We made it!" Happy smiled as he flew out of the magic mobile.

"That sucked." Wendy grumbled.

"At least we didn't run into anymore trouble." Lucy pointed out.

"True." 

"Where are we gonna go?" Gray asked. "We can't exactly pay for a room."

"We'll sleep in the car." Erza said matter-of-fact.

"All of us?!" He asked in astonishment.

"Is there a problem with that?" She asked curiously.

"There's not a lot of room." 

"Everyone gets a seat. Sorry, but there's no room to lay down." She shrugged.

"Finally, I've been waiting to visit." Natsu pouted as he popped up behind Lucy. She shrieked in surprise as she jumped away.

"Why didn't you earlier?" Gray asked.

His face turned green. "The thought of transportation."

Wendy smirked. "Such a baby."

"Says you shorty!" He ruffled her hair. She giggled. "So, what's happening? You guys only have a couple of days until the invasion."

"Thanks for reminding us..." Happy sighed.

"I guess we should find Jellal." Erza mused. "And then figure out where Brandish's squad will be."

"I can smell him." Wendy sniffed. "But he's far away."

"We'll find him tomorrow." Erza stated. "It's getting late and I'm starving."

"Me too!" Natsu and Happy said in unison.

"I guess I can get some food." Wendy offered. 

"We have no money." Lucy frowned.

"Yeah we do." Happy produced a stack of cash. "I took this from those guys who were attacking us earlier."

Natsu stiffened. "Attacks? Are you okay?" He examined Lucy worriedly.

"I'm fine, just tired." She smiled lightly. "Gray almost died, though."

"I bet you did something stupid, didn't you Frosty?"

Gray scowled. "No. A Mage snuck up behind me and threw daggers at me. They impaled me pretty bad and I almost bled out."

"It was scary." Wendy added. "I honestly thought he was gonna die for a moment."

"Well, good thing you're okay." Natsu said.

Gray smiled smugly. "You actually cared about me for once?"

"Ew, no." He scoffed. "But you're my friend and teammate, so I don't want you to get hurt."

"Best friends." Erza nodded.

"You guys need to hurry up and change me to human because I'm sick of being in the spirit world! Your spirits are so weird, Lucy." Natsu side-eyed her.

"I can't help it." She huffed.

He pinched her cheeks. "Sure."

She rubbed her face. "Ow!" She shoved him playfully.

He tickled her. "Are you trying to get on my bad side?"

"No." She laughed as she grabbed his hands. "Stop!"

He put his arms around her and gazed into her eyes. She smiled shyly and stared into his. They were about to kiss, when they realized the entire team staring at them.