Chapter 9: A Plan

"What should we do?" Gray asked as he rolled over to face Lucy.

"What do we do about what?" Lucy asked in confusion.

"Natsu." He stated obviously. 

"Oh," She shrugged. "Talk to him later and see what he wants us to do?"

Gray sighed. "That's a horrible idea. I think we should dig up his casket and see if his body is still there."

"And you thought my idea was horrible?!" Lucy shuddered. "I'm not digging up my best friend's body."

"You mean boyfriend." He winked.

"Shut up..." She stammered as she blushed.

"I think we should do it too." A small voice piped up.

"Happy?!" They both yelled.

"You're crazy, cat!" Lucy shook her head.

"Well, we have to know, right?" Happy pointed out.

"I don't think you guys understand how wrong this is. It's weird, disrespectful, and freaky! For goodness sake, you want to see if your friend's body is still buried!" She groaned.

"I didn't think about it like that." Gray admitted.

"What if there's like a spell or something?" Happy suggested.

"Like a spell to make Natsu human again?" Lucy asked.

Happy nodded. "Can't you ask that old guy?"

"Old guy? You mean Grandpa Crux?" She furrowed her brow.

"Aye!"

"Wait, who?" Gray asked.

"My celestial spirit, Crux. He knows a lot and hopefully can help us." She turned to Happy. "I'm surprised you had such a good idea, Happy."

"I have good ideas all the time!" Happy retorted. 

Gray and Lucy stifled their laughs. "Yeah, right."

"Whatever." Happy huffed. "Just summon him."

"Open, Gate of the Southern Cross, Crux!" Lucy commanded.

"Hello, Miss Lucy."

"Grandpa Crux, are there any spells to make a celestial spirit human?"

"Let me see." He promptly fell asleep and started snoring.

"Uh, he just fell asleep." Gray pointed out.

Lucy and Happy sighed. "No, he didn't."

"Lucy, why are all of your spirits so weird?" Happy asked genuinely.

She shrugged. "I don't know. It's not like I got to choose what they were like!"

"You've got a crab, a scary mermaid, a  pervert cow, a floating cross, and more! It's like a freak show!" Gray said.

Lucy rolled her eyes. "You're just jealous." She blinked back tears as she thought of Aquarius.

"Of a crab?"

"YAHOO!" Crux shouted. Everyone startled. "It seems there is a spell to make a celestial spirit human. But it's very complex and there's only one person in the world who can do it. I wouldn't attempt it if I were you, Miss Lucy."

"Where can we find them?" She asked.

"You must travel to Alakitasia, and find the Black Wizard." Crux said gravely.

"No way! He'll kill us!" Gray yelled.

"Thanks, Grandpa Crux." Lucy closed his gate and fell on the ground.

"You okay?" Gray asked in alarm.

"This keeps getting worse and worse!" She complained as she beat her fists on the cold stone floor.

"That's not gonna help." Happy said.

"This is basically a suicide mission." Gray muttered. "We'd all die just to save Natsu."

"I doubt Zeref would help us. He would just kill us all." Lucy muttered.

"There has to be another way." Happy said.

"My head hurts from using too much magic. I'm going to sleep." Lucy groaned as she buried her face in her pillow.

"Goodnight." Gray and Happy said.

Gray sat up in bed and waited for Lucy to fall asleep. Luckily, it didn't take long.  He motioned to Happy and crept out of the room.

"What are we doing?" Happy whispered.

"Shh. Just follow me." Gray instructed.

Once they were out of the guild hall, Gray started speaking.

"We're going to Natsu's grave."

Happy made a face. "We're not seriously digging up his body, are we?"

"Of course not! I'm just gonna look for any clues or details we may have missed."

"Why would there be clues?"

"I don't know! Are you coming or not?"

Happy sighed. "Fine." They walked over to the graveyard in silence. Happy observed the grave and scoffed at Gray. "See? Nothing's here."

Gray bent down and stared at the tombstone. Flowers were lying all around it. Suddenly, he noticed a slip of paper. "Happy! Look!"

Happy flew towards him. "What's it say?"

He unfolded it and read. "'Guys, whatever you do, don't open my gate. If you do, I will just hunt down Zeref, and potentially hurt you guys. I can feel my demonic part getting stronger. Very soon, I will lose control. I'm sorry, but our last meeting was goodbye. -Natsu.' Huh?!"

"Wait, WHAT?!" Happy cried. He tearfully stared at his best friend's grave. "Natsu!"

Gray clenched his fists and dropped to his knees. "This can't be right. It has to be a prank."

"But who would do that?" Happy asked. Neither of them said anything.

"There's only one way to find out if it's true." Gray finally said. "We have to open his gate."

"But Natsu said-" 

"I know. But we have to see. Tomorrow morning, we'll show Lucy and see what she thinks. Sound good?"

Happy nodded. "Aye."

Gray yawned and stood. "We should get some sleep while we can. I feel like tomorrow's gonna be a long day." 

Happy nodded tiredly as they both headed back to the infirmary.