Chapter 28: A Sense of Urgency

-Back in the Alvarez Empire-

Erza darted awake when she heard light footsteps around the vehicle. She silently sat up and prepared to attack. She slammed the door open and jumped at the intruder.

"Wait! Don't hurt me!" 

She frowned when she saw blue hair. "Jellal?" She lowered her sword and helped him up. "What're you doing here?"

"We've gotta go!" He said in a panicked voice.

"How did you find us? And why do we have to go?"

"What's going on?" Gray demanded as he joined them. "Jellal?"

Jellal sighed in exasperation. "I felt your magic power. And we have to go right now! Zeref knows you stole this car and he sent one of the 12 to eliminate you! That's why I came! Let's go!" He jumped into the drivers seat and floored it. Lucy, Wendy, and Happy screamed at the sudden movement.  

"Quiet!" Erza barked.

"What's going on?" Wendy asked fearfully.

"Are we gonna die?!" Happy's eyes widened.

"Hopefully not." Jellal muttered.

"What?!" Lucy squealed.

"One of the 12 is on their way here to kill all of you." He shouted. "I came to get you out of here."

"Awesome!" Wendy smiled widely.

"Watch out!" Gray yelled as he spotted a man standing in the middle of the road. 

Jellal turned the wheel sharply, sending everyone flying and crashing into a building. Rubble fell on top of them.

Wendy coughed as she clawed her way to air. She breathed heavily as she searched for her comrades. She saw Gray's leg stuck under a rock and hurried to move it. "Guys! Can you hear me?"

"Yes." Happy said quietly as he flew towards her. "I jumped out just in time. I tried to grab you guys, but couldn't. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, just help me find the others." 

He nodded as he noticed a hand sticking out of the pile. "I think that's Erza." He panted in exhaustion as he moved the heavy rocks off of her. "Erza!"

"Happy?" She asked in a choked voice. "I can't feel my arm."

"Hold on, I'll get you out." He tugged on her until she broke free.

"Thanks." She clutched her arm. "I think it's broken."

"Gray's leg is broken too." Wendy said worriedly.

"Where are Jellal and Lucy?" Erza asked.

Suddenly, Wendy turned around. "I hear Lucy! Her voice is faint, though. I think heavy debris fell on her chest. It's probably making it difficult for her to breathe and talk."

"Point me where." Erza instructed as she used her good arm to stand.

"There! Where the broken tailor's sign is." Wendy managed to finally pull Gray free. She started healing him. "Erza, I'll heal you next."

"I'll find Jellal." Happy said.

Erza grunted as she used her good arm and legs to move heavy metal and brick off of Lucy. "Lucy!"

"Here..." She said weakly. Erza helped her up, but Lucy fell back over, grabbing her chest. "Can't...breathe..." She collapsed as she fought for air.

"Wendy! I think a broken rib is impaling her lung! She's gonna die!" Erza shouted.

Wendy rushed over to heal Lucy. "It'll take a while. Try to breathe."