Chapter 7: E.N.D.

Lucy cursed as she tried to open the gate, but failed. "Why do I keep stopping?! Opening a gate is not that hard! I do it all the time! So why am I hesitating on this one?!"

She examined the key and sighed as she plopped on the floor. She took a moment to meditate and relax her racing heart. She stood up, full of confidence. "I can do this. Open, Gate of E.N.D.!" Lucy yelled. She watched as the spirit appeared. Suddenly, she gasped, collapsing on the ground as she saw who it was.

"Yo, Lucy! Long time no see!"

"W-W-What?!" Lucy choked out. She stared at the man before her. Her eyes filled with tears as he gave her a toothy grin.

"YOU'RE ALIVE!" She cried as she flung her arms around his neck. He uncertainly put his arms around her.

"Lucy! Can't...breathe..." Natsu coughed. She loosened her grip.

"I thought you were dead!" 

"Well, I kinda am." 

She pulled away and stared at him. "Huh?"

"I'm not your Natsu anymore." He explained as he scratched his head.

"What do you mean you're not my Natsu. You look and act exactly like him!" Her brow furrowed in confusion.

"I'm E.N.D., a demon from the book of Zeref." 

"So, you're my demon spirit now?!" Lucy's jaw dropped.

Natsu shook his head. "No, my only mission is to kill Zeref. He just gave you my key."

Her lip trembled. "So you're not gonna help me?"

He sighed. "I wish I could. I'm sorry, but Zeref brought me back to life. I owe him big time. And if he wants me to kill him, then that's what I'll do."

"What happens to you when he dies?"

Natsu turned away. "I die."

Lucy gasped. "No way! You can't die! I won't let you! You already died once, Demonic Natsu isn't gonna die on me too!"

He made a face. "Demonic Natsu? I haven't done anything to earn that nickname!"

She rolled her eyes. "Well, you're a demon and demons are demonic. Idiot!"

He smirked at her. "You wanna see me as a real demon?"

"Uh, not really."

Suddenly, fire filled the room as he began to turn into his demon form. 

"MY ROOM!" Lucy yelled as she punched Natsu in the face.

"Ow! That hurt! I was just trying to show you!" Natsu pouted. 

"I don't wanna see! Why didn't you just come back in your demon form?! Wouldn't that have made more sense?" She rolled her eyes.

"Zeref allowed me to have a human appearance for a short amount of time in case I ran into trouble. And also, I have no control as a demon, so you probably shouldn't see me as one."

"Then why did you just try to show me your demon form?! IDIOT!" Lucy growled. She sighed and crossed her arms. "Also that human appearance thing is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. And that says a lot knowing the things you say."

"Uh oh." Natsu groaned as he clutched his chest.

Lucy kneeled next to him. "Hey, you okay?"

"You need to leave." He muttered.

She arched an eyebrow. "This is my apartment. I'm not leaving."

"LEAVE! BEFORE I HURT YOU!" He shouted as a dark aura surrounded him. The skin around his eyes turned black and his eyes became small and emotionless. His arms and face were covered in scales. Claws ripped out of his hands. The Tartaros symbol replaced his Fairy Tail emblem.

Her eyes widened as she shakily backed up. "N-Natsu...?"

"Where is Zeref?" He coldly asked.

"I...don't...know. He vanished after giving me your key." Lucy gulped as he stomped towards her.

"WHERE IS HE?!" He grabbed her by her neck and hoisted her in the air.

"Natsu! Stop!" Lucy beat his arms with her fists, trying to get him to let go.

"WHERE. IS. ZEREF?!" He started choking her.

"What the hell?!" Gray threw open the door. His face froze in fear at the sight of Natsu. "Let go of Lucy!"

"GET OUT OF THE WAY!" Natsu slammed Gray against the wall. He laid on the ground, unconscious.

"Gray!" Lucy yelled as she broke free of Natsu's grip. She grabbed her whip. "Natsu! Stop! It's me, Lucy! And Gray! We're your friends!"

Natsu's eyes flickered. "MOVE!" He kicked her away forcefully. She cried out in pain as her head hit the wall.

"CLOSE, GATE OF E.N.D.!" Lucy held her head as she forced his gate closed.

"NO! STOP IT!" He howled as he tried to fight back.

Lucy gritted her teeth in pain as she used almost all of her magic power to close his gate. "CLOSE, GATE OF E.N.D.!" Natsu suddenly vanished. "Thank, God..." She mumbled as she sank to the ground and passed out.