Chapter 36: August

"We have to go back." Jellal whispered to Erza as he looked at her.

She nodded heavily. "Let's go, then." Why are you even upset?! She was a horrible mother! She abandoned you! Erza cursed herself mentally and followed the others to the guild.

"Erza, I'm sorry..." Lucy said sadly.

"Oh, you're awake." She sighed. "Don't be sorry. I barely knew the woman."

Lucy watched Erza uncertainly as she struggled with her emotions.

"Master!" Wendy shouted as she and the others ran back into guild.

"Did you slay that dragon?!" He asked in surprise.

"Well, kind of. Erza and I turned her back human and then...she...killed herself..." She gulped.

He looked down. "That's tragic."

"Do you know where these berserkers came from?" Mavis asked Wendy.

"Irene did it, before she died." Carla explained. "That's another one of the 12 down."

"We took down God Serena, at the expense of Warrod's life and all of the other Wizard Saints." Mavis said tearfully.

"Bisca and Alzack took down a lot of the airships with the Jupiter cannon." Warren reported using telepathy.

"And Gajeel took down another of the 12. I think his name was Bloodman. He's badly injured, though." Mest said.

"Only a few more remain..." Makarov sighed. He looked out the window. "I can't bear to see my children suffer...every victory results in death."

Mavis looked at him. "I don't think we can do this much longer. Everyone is exhausted and Alvarez is overwhelming. We've defeated a lot of the 12, but there are still hundreds of thousands of soldiers left."

"That many!?" Happy cried in fear.

"I know what to do." Makarov muttered as he walked out of the guild.

"Wait, where are you going?" She cried.

"Don't interfere, First Master. I know you probably have a plan, but this is something I have to do. You know that."

"No..." She gasped as she came to realization.

"Master, what are you doing?" Erza shouted as he walked through the battlefield. The wizards were fighting the mass of berserker soldiers.

"Putting an end to your suffering." He stood in Fairy Law's stance.

"Yeah, now we're sure to win!" Romeo cheered.

"Is that Fairy Law?" Sting asked.

"That's incredible." Rogue whispered.

"Makarov, don't do it!" Mavis cried. "The enemy is too great! You'll die!"

"I'm sorry kids." Makarov sighed.

"Wait, we can't even talk about this?!" Wendy cried. "You're just going to do it?!"

"Stop!" Macao shouted.

"NO, MASTER!" Erza yelled. The other members watched in horror as they realized what was gonna happen.

"You can't just leave like that!" Gray yelled.

"We can beat them, Master, don't do it! We're gonna win!" Gajeel shouted before getting struck in the face.

"No we can't! Unless I do this!" Makarov yelled. "There are too many enemies and I refuse to lose any more of my children!"

"Gramps..." Laxus bit his lip.