Chapter 4: Lucy and Gray

"I'm gonna take a walk. Wanna come?" Gray asked Lucy.

Lucy stood up. "Sure." She and Happy followed him out. They walked over to the park. Gray slumped onto the ground, gazing at the sunset. Lucy followed suit.

"How did he die?" Gray whispered.

Lucy gulped as nausea rose in her throat. "I told you. He was impaled."

"Oh, right..." Gray awkwardly said. "Well, what were his final words?"

"He said...'I'm sorry, Luce'..."

Gray grunted. "He didn't say anything about the rest of us?!"

"I'm sorry...please don't be mad..." Lucy lowered her head.

"Don't be mad?! Natsu's final words were directed at you?! Of all people, why you?! Why not me, or Erza, or Happy?! We've known him since he was a kid! You barely do!" He stormed off.

Lucy stumbled as she ran after him. "I'm sorry, Gray! I really am! I just-"

"Shut up! You're the reason he's dead!" Gray shouted. Tears ran down his face as he shoved her hard. 

"Gray!" Happy yelled after him.

Lucy collapsed on the ground. "It's...all...my...fault! I don't deserve to live! He died because of me!" She sobbed as she laid broken on the ground.

"No, Lucy! It's not your fault!" Happy said. "Gray is just grieving right now. He didn't mean it. Just give him some time."

"I SHOULD BE THE DEAD ONE!" She wailed. She trembled on the ground and threw up. Happy sadly rubbed her back.

Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder. It was Mirajane. Her normal bright blue eyes were dull and full of sympathy.

"Come on, Lucy." She said softly. She pulled up the broken girl and guided her back to her house. Mirajane cleaned up Lucy and tucked her into bed. She stroked Lucy's hair until she fell asleep. "Goodnight, Lucy. Sleep well." Mirajane sadly smiled as she closed the door and left. Happy snuggled next to Lucy and fell asleep.

Lucy gasped as she fell on the ground. "Natsu!" She turned around only to see Natsu get impaled by the claws.

"NATSU!" She screamed as she ran towards his crumbling body. Happy grabbed him and pulled him away from the monster. Natsu's stomach was severely bleeding and was torn apart. He could barely move. Lucy quivered as she frantically tore off pieces of her dress to stop the bleeding.

"Lucy....Happy...I'm sorry..." He coughed up blood as he clutched his stomach.

Lucy stroked his head and weakly smiled. "What were you thinking?"

"I...wanted...to...protect you..." Lucy laid his head on her lap and Happy sat on his chest.

Lucy started crying as she watched him struggle to breathe. "Natsu, you big idiot! You're gonna die!"

"It was worth it to save my friends." He weakly chuckled before having a coughing spasm. Blood splashed on Lucy's front.

Suddenly, the monster roared and started coming towards them. Lucy pulled Natsu up and wrapped her arm around his waist.

"Come on, Natsu, we gotta go! We're gonna get you help." Lucy said frantically.

"Lucy, I'm gonna die. Just leave me and run." He groaned as he lowered himself to the ground.

"I'm not leaving you! You're coming home!" Lucy shouted as tears ran down her face. She tugged on his hand.

"Lucy! What's more important? Two lives or one?" Natsu yelled.

"You're the reason I'm still here!" Lucy screamed. "I'm not leaving you!" She picked him up and carried him on her back. She stumbled as she ran. She gritted her teeth as the pain from her burns resurfaced.

"Lucy! Duck!" Happy screamed as the monster's hand came towards them. Lucy ducked too late. She screamed as she flew through the air. She gripped onto Natsu, refusing to let him go. Happy grabbed her and flew as fast as he could towards the town.

When they were safe, Lucy set Natsu down. "Natsu, are you okay?"

There was no answer. Lucy started trembling. "N-Natsu...?"

"I'm sorry, Luce..." Natsu faintly replied. He weakly smiled at her and Happy as he took his last breath. Lucy stared at his limp body in shock, tears streaming down her face.

"Natsu...?" Lucy's voice broke as she searched his face for signs of life. "NATSU!" She wailed. "Please wake up! Come on! Don't leave me! Please! Just open your eyes!"

"WAKE UP!" Lucy screamed as she bolted out of her bed, sobbing. She ran out of her room and to Fairy Tail.

"Lucy...?" Happy sleepily rubbed his eyes. "Oh no, where did she go?"

Lucy shook as she stood before at the guild hall door. She reached for the handle, but collapsed. She laid unconscious in front of the guild.

-The Next Morning-

Gray dragged himself over to the guild hall. As he approached, he noticed Lucy laying in front of the doors. His eyes flashed with anger and he kicked her as hard as he could in the stomach.

"AHHH!" She cried as she tried to move but failed to.

"Loser." Gray mumbled as he stormed into the guild hall.

Tears fell from Lucy's eyes. "I guess he still hates me..." She laid on the ground, not wanting to move. 

"Lucy! Are you okay?" Lisanna asked as she, Mirajane, and Elfman approached.

"No..." Lucy mumbled.

Mirajane picked her up. Lucy winced. "What's wrong?"

"My burns still hurt really bad. And Gray just kicked me in the gut." Lucy explained.

"Kicking a friend isn't manly!" Elfman growled. "I'm gonna give Gray a piece of my mind!"

"No! Don't! It's not his fault." She pleaded.

"He hurt a guild member. That's unforgivable." Elfman said as he ran into the guild hall. "Gray! What the hell is wrong with you?!"

"Is everything okay, Lucy?" Mirajane asked.

"No. I had nightmares about...Natsu's death. And I'm in so much pain, and I miss him so much, and I just want to die! I feel so guilty! I should've died, not him! Please, kill me! Just do it! I don't wanna live anymore!" She cried. Her sons wrecked her body.

"Lucy, I miss him too. We all do. But Natsu wouldn't want to see you like this." Lisanna said kindly. "So, pick yourself up and get dressed. You'll feel a lot better."

"Thanks, guys." Lucy smiled slightly.

"Lucy, we need to talk to you." Wendy sheepishly said as she, Carla, and Erza approached.

"In private." Erza smiled apologetically to Lisanna and Mirajane.

"Bye, Lucy!" They waved as they went in to the guild.

"Uh, Lucy, you're still in your pajamas..." Wendy pointed out.

"I know. I need to go get dressed." Lucy sighed. "What do you want to talk about?"

"I'm-" Erza began.

"LUCY!" Happy flew into her arms. "I found you!"

"Huh?" Lucy patted the Exceed's head.

"You ran away last night and I looked everywhere and now I found you!" He cried.

"You didn't check the guild hall?!" Carla asked incredulously.

"It never occurred to me." Happy shrugged.

"Anyway, before I was so rudely interrupted." Erza glared at Happy. "I want to talk more about Natsu's death. I know it's painful for you to remember, but I'll feel more at ease if I know the details."

"Yeah, we don't have to if you don't want to, though." Wendy reassured.

"It's okay, I understand." Lucy said. "You guys deserve to know." She sighed as they headed back to her house.