Chapter 16: The Alvarez Empire

-A Couple Hours Later-

"Well, I wasn't able to get much information." Gray dejectedly plopped down in a chair.

"Same." The others replied.

"Um, there's a large garden?" Lucy offered timidly. The others just gave her a withering look. "Jeez, why so hostile?"

"Hey, look!" Erza shouted suddenly. "I can start to see land!"

"Yes! Finally!" Wendy exclaimed drowsily. "I feel so bad." 

"The closer we get to shore, the more nervous I get." Lucy said with a nervous smile.

"I just don't want to get thrown in prison." Gray frowned. "Or get killed."

"Let's not think about that..." Wendy's excitement quickly faded.

"Attention all soldiers! Join the captain below deck immediately!" The loud announcement startled them.

"I wonder what that's about." Erza muttered as they quickly made their way below deck.

"Listen up!" The captain demanded. "While checking our cargo, I came across something troubling. Can anyone guess what it was?"

Everyone shook their heads. "No, sir."

"I found these!" He thrust his hands in the air. Murmurs ran throughout the room.

Wendy gasped. "Carla!"

"And Happy!" Lucy cried. The Exceeds were tied up and gagged.

"Quiet!" Erza kicked them.

"These 2 thought they could hide on the ship." The captain frowned angrily as he shook them. "How wrong they were. You two Exceeds will be thrown in prison, while your punishment is decided. Not only were you sneaking onto our ship, but you're wizards! From Fairy Tail! The very guild His Majesty declared war on. I'm sure he will be delighted at the news of your capture. You can tell us where your other 4 friends are." Carla and Happy's eyes widened. "That is all, men. Go back to your gathering."

"This is horrible!" Gray mumbled angrily as he kicked the wall. Several people stared at him.

"Gray. Stop. Drawing. Attention." Erza ordered through gritted teeth as they headed back up above deck.

"This is our fault!" Wendy yelled as she balled her fists.

"We'll just have to bust them out of prison when we get to Alakitasia." Erza stated.

"How are you not upset about this?" Lucy demanded.

"I am, but we have to focus on the mission. We'll rescue them later." She replied.

"What if they're dead by then?" Gray asked worriedly. "They might torture and kill them for information."

"Gray!" Wendy whimpered.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean that." He laid his hand on her shoulder.

"Poor Carla." Wendy was close to tears. "If only I could've protected her." She sadly turned away from the others.

"I feel like I let Natsu down." Lucy frowned. "After all, Happy is his best friend."

"Don't be so hard on yourself." Gray said. "Natsu knows it wasn't your fault."

"Yeah." Natsu's voice piped up from the key. "Stop worrying, Lucy. Happy doesn't blame you. And neither do I."

"You're not mad?" She inquired.

"Well, not at you. But I'm very mad at that captain." He growled.

"Do not exit the spirit world." Erza commanded.