Chapter 19: Carla's Journey

-Before Carla's Departure-

"Wait, what did Wendy say?" Carla asked.

"She said they're gonna write a letter and she wants you to deliver it to Makarov." Jellal whispered.

"Can you do that?" Happy asked worriedly. "It's such a long journey..."

"I can." Carla said firmly. "I have to. Master Makarov must know what's going on."

"I'll bring the letter to you tonight, and help you escape. I heard Dimaria say she's not bothering with you two anymore because she's 'not gonna waste her time with cats', so I don't think you'll be missed. Except of course, by your friends." Jellal added.

Carla nodded. "Okay. Tonight then."

He handed her and Happy each a protein bar. "I found these in the kitchen. Hopefully, it'll keep you full." He left.

Happy handed his to Carla. "Here."

She looked at him curiously. "Why are you giving it to me? You need it."

"I don't want you to get hungry on your journey." He smiled lovingly at her.

She blushed. "Happy, that's very kind, but I can't take this."

"Please. I want you too." He pleaded.

"Okay." She accepted it gratefully. 

"You'll stay safe, right? I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

"I'll try my best. I hope I don't have to do a ton of flying, though." She chuckled. "I'm not sure I can handle that."

"I believe in you." 

"Thank you. That means a lot."

He hugged her tightly. "I'll miss you, Carla."

A tear escaped and flowed down her cheek. "I'll miss you too, Happy." 

-A Few Hours Later-

"Are you ready?" Jellal asked as he handed her the letter. 

She fastened it into her little bag. "As ready as I'll ever be."

"It's night, right?" Happy asked. Jellal nodded. "Good luck, Carla. Please stay safe and know that we're rooting for you."

She smiled. "Thank you, Happy."

"Come on. We don't have much time." Jellal said hastily. He unlocked the cell.

Carla hugged Happy. "Happy, if I don't make it back," she gulped, "know that I love you." She kissed him lightly on the lips.

He sniffed. "I love you too, Carla."

She smiled at him bravely as she and Jellal left. The minute they turned away, she let the tears flow.

"You okay?" Jellal asked softly.

She nodded. "Just sad."

"Do you need anything?" 

"No, but thank you. For everything. We never could've done this without your help, Jellal." 

"It's no problem at all. I would gladly do it all again." He cracked a smile. He led her to a window. "You can't fly because people will see, but you're small enough to scurry around without being noticed." He looked down at her. "Good luck, Carla. Remember, Fairy Tail is counting on you."

She smirked. "No pressure at all. Goodbye, Jellal. Don't let Happy be too sad."

He nodded. "Goodbye."