SEVEN (EDITED)

CHAPTER SEVEN: Sing a Song

THAT NIGHT WAS A SPECIAL NIGHT AT THE GARRISON.

For the first time since before the war, there was singing. It all started when Tabitha walked into the pub that night while Thomas was off doing business with his uncle Charlie. Polly as watching over Finn while Ada was out with Freddie Thorne for the night.

She leaned against the bar, getting to know a little more about Grace, the new, Irish barmaid. Grace we from Galway, where the Hearn clan was originally from until her father Finneas moved the camp to Birmingham. The topic of music came up when Grace said she used to sing back to stop the fighting.

"What was it like? Being over there and seeing that," Grace asked the Romani woman.

"It showed me how much chaos war truly brought," Tabitha replied a a frown. "I've even things I'll never be able to unsee."

"And you use to sing to the wounded soldiers?"

"I did. Haven't really sung since then."

"You should sing for us," Harry said, entering the conversation excited. "It's been a long time since we've had music here."

"I agree, Harry," Grace said, coming out from behind the bar. "Please, Tabitha, will you sing for us?"

"Uhm, well, I don't really know if I-"

"Boys, Tabitha's going to sing for us," Harry spoke up, getting the casuals attentions.

"What? I am. But-"

Grace guided Tabitha in front of the crowd of the pub usuals, pulling out a chair for her to stand up on. Seeing she had no choice, Tabitha got up on the chair, looking down at the crowd. They were silent, waiting for her to sing. She took a soft, but deep breath and her hauntingly beautiful voice began to full their ears.

Well I've been out walking
I don't do that much talking these days
These days

Tabitha was a strong alto, able to hit lower notes more than girls who sing soprano. It made the song she was singing even more beautiful. Grace and Harry were behind the bar, holding their heads up with their right hands. They kept their eyes on Tabitha, listening to her voice.

These days I seem to think a lot
About the things that I forgot to do
For you
And all the times I had the chance to

Quietly, the Garrison doors opened and the Peaky Blinders walked in slowly. They didn't hear the usual ruckus from the men outside, but soon understood, looking at Tabitha standing on a chair. Thomas as amongst the Blinders taking off his cap, staring at his wife, leaning against the pillar as he listened to her sing. Tabitha noticed him, but kept on singing, focusing on the words, and looking down at all the men.